Neck issues

thehairs1970
thehairs1970 Posts: 142
edited December 2008 in Health, fitness & training
What can I do to alleviate the discomfort I suffer from after a ride? I am sure that my neck is irritated by the position its in but don't really want to go for a more upright position. Would fitting a longer stem help do you think?

Martyn

Comments

• Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Fitting a longer stem would probably make things worse TBH. It would give you a more stretched out position meaning you spend more time looking up, t'would also affect the handling.

What exactly is the problem that you are having??
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • I suffered from neck pain and headaches for quite a long time, I was training a lot and it simply became too much to bare.... I saw my doctor and they made an appointment with the local physio, it turned out my posture was out of whack and some simple exercises cured the problem for good....

Hope this is of some help.... good luck

Ian
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I am just finishing a course with my physio (last appointment this week i hope!).

I had a dislocated vertebrae in my neck, caused by bad posture (the disks were compacted together and a slight twist caused one of them to dislocate - very painful!)

I bought a posture brace, which is a little like a gun holster (or bra!) which you wear that pulls your shoulders back into the correct position. I have not worn it while on my bike - although nothing stopping you as you can wear it under clothes. It has done the trick of improving my posture.

I try and make sure that when I am riding I keep my spine extended as much as possible. As DrDeath said, a longer stem would make this worse as you would be in a much lower racing position, a shorter stem would make u sit up more.

Maybe just try some neck strengthening excersises to build the muscles up there - mine were shockingly weak at the front and side of the neck, at the back they were stupidly tight due to the way my head was being held because of my posture.

Good luck mate, neck pain is a bitch!
  • gcwebbyuk
    Had my final physio on Thursday - 95% mobility in my neck so was well happy.

Sat on the sofa last night watching the tv - neck felt tight, so stretched to the left a bit and f*@k! it went again! :shock:

Took ibuprofen and paracetemol and tried sleeping last night - kinda got some sleep.

Went to A&E today as the pain was so bad... been given co-codamol and diazepam.

Looks like I am back to physio again next week, this time on the NHS rather than spending another £35 a session - cost me £350 in total before!
    :(
  • gcwebbyuk
    Just to add, my recent neck issue has cause me to re-think owning a motorbike. The pain involved in the last spasm had me on the floor in pain, and have been considering the consequences of this happening at speed on a motorbike. Same goes for a mountain bike but risk of MAJOR injury are much lower due to their being no cars!

Hence my motorbike is up for sale - anyone interested in a 2007 Kawasaki ZX6r with tasteful mods (Akrapovic Exhaust, PCIII and some other bells and whistles) let me know - its heart breaking making the decision to sell it but I spose thats better than back, arm and leg breaking if things go wrong :evil: