Black Ice...........

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Is poo!!

Yesterday morning on the way to work down a country lane with no warning the bike slid from under me and I came crashing to the tarmac with a thump at 15mph, narrowly missing the rear wheels of a van!!

The puddles on the side of the road werent frozen and no frost on the grass. When I tried to get up the road was like an ice rink. Ive had the intention of cycling all through winter but this shaken my resolve I think!!

Comments

• I over slept and missed the club run this morning but apparently the lads (eight of em) all came fown 2 or 3 times during the ride. Probably dodged a bullet there then.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    what is the difference between black ice and ice on road? was out last night and i was wondering why the road was sparkling, thankfully riding a semi recumbent the rear wheel slipped to one side a bit, once during the ride. anyways i guess you will have to ride a bit slower
  • Black ice is frozen cr@p, no more slippery than other ice but if tyre scum is frozen then 700x23 is not ideal :?
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    FFS. Why do people ride when there's the potential of black ice? Is it some kind of badge of honour? At best you'll get bruised; at worst you'll slide under a bus. Just put the bike away for a bit, it won't kill you.
  • biondino wrote:
    FFS. Why do people ride when there's the potential of black ice? Is it some kind of badge of honour? At best you'll get bruised; at worst you'll slide under a bus. Just put the bike away for a bit, it won't kill you.

too cold? lights too bright? chance of ice?
    you should try just enjoying your own riding rather than having so many issues with what other people do.
  • just go off road for a change, did 40 mile round kielder yesterday, bootiful
  • biondino wrote:

With no warning, no signs at my suburban house of what rural country lanes are like on the way to work, the fact that my car was at work.................

Any more reasons needed?

Trust me mate, lesson learnt, but I cycled all through the last 2 winters with no problems, Im not exactly "green" when it comes to winter riding!!!
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    Black Ice Is the new album by metal maestros AC/DC An excellent return to form ,increases cycling speed by at least 2mph if listened to on an ipod whilst on the bike
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sometimes its not obvious that it is icy. It can be fine where you live - but get out into countryside and it has gone icy.

I've learnt my lesson now though - if it is icy roads - I will either go off road, or to the gym or do something else instead.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    biondino wrote:

too cold? lights too bright? chance of ice?
    you should try just enjoying your own riding rather than having so many issues with what other people do.

Nothing wrong with someone showing a bit of concern for your best interests. Take it as it was meant.
  • We had problems on our group spin on Saturday.... 4 or 5 guys went down, one broken wrist and one broken thumb -and that was after we decided to keep it on flat, well traveled roads to reduce the risk!
  • biondino wrote:

I agree, this is what rollers and turbo's were designed for.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    biondino wrote:

I agree, this is what rollers and turbo's were designed for.

we all know that rollers and turbos where invented by a mad genius hamster wanting revenge for the old wheel joke and the Ignomy of the roller ball.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    cant get a turbo/rollers for a recumbent.. can you?