Continental Force... Front and Back?!

cyclingpunk
cyclingpunk Posts: 368
edited November 2008 in Workshop
My mate swears using a Force tyre front and rear. His reasoning is excellent grip and a size between the norm 23c and bigger 25c offers the best of both worlds. A bit more comfort without loosing much in the way of acceleration etc.

I did mention to my friend that it is designed to be used in conjunction with the Force but he knew this anyway and said he did not want to run a 22c front.

I know the Force is not designed in this manner but it got me thinking as I currently run 25's on my winter bike and 23's on my summer and was considering a move to 25's next summer as I really would like a less harsh ride for the long summer miles.

Does anyone have any comments about running this sort of set up or is it a real no no that I should avoid?!

Comments

• Force/Attack is a marketing ruse to sell more tyres. Rear tyres wear much faster than fronts and you can't move the front to the rear if you buy the whole wider/narrower thing. I guess some will have the sense to buy a second Force for the rear but a worn front is not good. In a blind test I bet your friend would have trouble telling a Force/Force setup from GP4000S front and rear anyhow. That said I've ridden a few sets of Force/Attack and got 5,000km without punctures but the usual Continental squaring off of the tread which is a tad annoying and not at all good for cornering grip.

Conti tyres are often narrower than their nominal width too - at least nominal widths aren't consistent between manufacturers. If you want excellent grip in a 24mm try a Vittoria Open Pave CG 24mm with a latex tube!
  • I might just get some Pro Race 3's in a 25c. Looks like my local store will be getting some in. At the same pressure do people think the 25c's are much different to there 23c counterparts in terms of comfort or would I be better off with 23's and running them at a few PSI less to soften the nasty roads near me?

I am only 53kg so should not have to worry too much about running a lower than average PSI.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi i use Michelin Krylion carbon with a 622-20 front and a 622-25 rear and they work a treat. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • 25s will be slightly surer in winter (I found PR2s dubious in the wet and friends have had slips with PR3s) but at 53kg you might not notice. I'm guessing shaving weight isn't a top priority! :-)
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    At sub 9 stone, unless you're 12 years old, I'd spend the money you were thinking of buying new tyres with on a few pies. :lol:

(a jealous 72kg 25 year old)
  • Lol!!! I do eat a fair amount of pies... just seem to not get fatter! Although my Dad was thin like me then he hit 35 and BANG!!!

Indeed I am not (too) worried about a few extra grams... just want some tyres that do not kick my butt on 50+ milers. Not too worried about wet weather grip as I use my winter bike when it is wet and if I get caught out on the rain on my best bike I am very careful anyway.

Cheers.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The Attack has a softer compound for better front grip. It will still outlast 2 Force on the rear. I have found the grip to be excelent in the wet as was shown getting down the Tourmalet like a bat out of hell when caught in a storm at the top.