Worst thing you've bought for your bike?

STEFANOS4784
STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
edited December 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hi i nicked thid from mtb forum lol, word for word in fact....

"Personally I'm sick of hearing how great everything is. You rarely hear a bad review of something these days. Everything is always good or amazing, I guess that has to do with development steps in our sport.
Still what is the worst of most useless thing you've bought for your bike recently?"

Anyhoo i'll start off by saying the worst thing i ever bought was titanium bottle cage bolts from fleabay, don't know why i bothered really but anyway they weren't even long enough to go through the cage holes and into the frame, use-less, anyone else?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Middleburn alloy single ring bolts. Snapped 4 of them when accelerating up a hill, which caused a rather painful interaction between the stem and my testicles. Replaced them with steel bolts and had no more problems.
  • :lol:
    Sorry to laugh at your pain, i've managed to avoid the old
    stem
    + testicle equation, hope i havn't cursed myself :shock:
  • Sealskinz gloves - £25 of rubbish. I've just had to pay another £8 for the liners but i'm not confident my little pinies will stay warm!1

Altura jacket - zip knackered. Awaiting their response to emails

David
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    :lol:
    stem
    I wouldn't risk going out on a bike tomorrow.

If you do I'll come and kick you in the balls. ;)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A ticket to Bristol for last night :cry:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Mini-pumps - I've got a box full of supposedly 'high pressure' pumps and apart from serving the purpose of keeping you warm due to the pumping effort, are pretty well all expensive bike ornaments.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I've got a blackburn airstick which is reasonably fancy... but it's much easier to use the edinburgh bikes cheapie job I got my gf!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Sealskinz gloves - £25 of rubbish.

+1
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Hangie
    Hangie Posts: 16
    Emergency foam for punctures.

Still peeling it off my jacket now!!
    Tried to use it on 3 ocassions (3 for 2 deal!) now I know why it; only worked once.
    Carry a spare tube instead!!

:roll:
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Topeak pressure gauge (prior to owning a gauge-equipped track pump). Piece of sh!t. It'll tell you a pressure in psi or bar. Unfortunately the reading doesn't bear any resemblance to the pressure inside the tyre it's attached too. I gave it to my dad for the car. He's since binned it for it talking bollocks.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    Polaris Tungsten Jacket from je james.

Not breathable, so no idea if it is waterproof. Rubbish.
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    Gore Windstopper Soft Shell III Leg Warmers - rubbed the back of my knees raw, so much for flatlock stitching
    Altura Night Vision Waterproof Winter Gloves - fully waterproof, an absolute lie
  • a_n_t wrote:
    Sealskinz gloves - £25 of rubbish.

+1

i've got some and they keep me relatively warm, then i sweat and have to stop to take them off :?
  • whyamihere wrote:
    stem

Sounds like a challenge, my dad just helped me with my new brake blocks and i got new wheels/freewheel, my winter beauty now screams likke a banshee, we're guna do the cables tommorow so then i'm laughing...........................untill i hit ice again, for some reason i care less about ice on my c'dale, when on the Kuota i sketch out :?
    Aluminium is def the way forward for those who don't race yet....ie....me, Dont want to risk co ming off an shattering the carbon frame, i know the R500 is hard-core..............
  • A zipp 303 tubular wheelset.

I bought it with the intention of racing in Australia. Never did that. So they've been hanging up on the wall for the better part of 7 years. :(

Apart from 1 broken spoke per 1000km, the walls now have visible bulges in them from the prolonged static tension. The last time I took them for a ride, went down a 15-20% hill and couldn't stop properly. Had to get off and walk down. The brake tracks are basically stuffed and I probably don't even have 2500-3000km on the wheels. WHAT CRAP :!: :evil:

I'm not likely to sell them either as they're 650c campy. I'll probably ride them until the rims fail, and sell off the hubs. :roll:
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Mini-pumps - I've got a box full of supposedly 'high pressure' pumps and apart from serving the purpose of keeping you warm due to the pumping effort, are pretty well all expensive bike ornaments.

Exactly!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    i agree with the mini pumps comment.
    i have tried stacks of mini pumps that don't live up to the hype.
    currently using a blackburn - best so far.

mavic cosmos wheels were a flop for me - busted 2 of them!

i've also got a drawer full of crappy bike lights!
    regards,
    dbb
  • sks raceblades-shite!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    whyamihere wrote:
    stem

Flagged, for the nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach and making my eyes water to an unreasonable degree!!! :wink:

Worst, most useless thing I've ever bought is the Minoura Spacebar. About as robust as jelly.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • An adjustable stem. It flexed so much it was like riding with my handlebars attached to a bloody bed spring. I only ever used it once. A total waste of money.
    sks raceblades-shite!
    +1!
  • continental supersonic tubes. if your idea of a great ride out includes 10 minutes sitting in a verge fixing a puncture, then these babies are for you.

briko full finger gloves. started the tour of flanders with a brand new set of full finger gloves. by the time i rolled over the finish line the stitches had unwoven to create some kind of fingerless aberration.

both these things i bought heavily discounted. now i know why.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Cateye EL300 5 LED. I've lit brighter candles.
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    continental gatorskins more slippy than a bar of soap
  • morite
    morite Posts: 28
    bar end lights. turned on fine as soon as I tried to turn them off they fell apart inside the handlebars. Had to ride home with them rattling around and spend ages trying to get them out of the bars
  • morite
    morite Posts: 28
    Sealskinz gloves - £25 of rubbish. I've just had to pay another £8 for the liners but i'm not confident my little pinies will stay warm!1

Mine are fantastic. Kept my hands lovely and dry last week and they were toasty warm today even at -3 at 5:30 this morning
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Monty Dog wrote:

This, this, this.

God only knows the number of poxy little pumps I've binned due to them either -

a. Not being able to inflate the tyre anywhere near enough.
    b. Not being able to inflate the tyre at all.

I'm hoping CO2 cartridges will be my saviour (or maybe not - keep watching this thread).
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I view mini pumps as a get you home emergency tool.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Oh aye, and some Spokey-Dokeys. Annoyed the t*ts off me within five minutes.*

*A long time ago. I'm not talking about, like, last week...