Assos colour coding for temperature exposure?

maluco_beleza
maluco_beleza Posts: 28
edited November 2008 in Workshop
Hi All,

I'm about to order one of those Assos Airjack 851 jackets (fed up of feeling cold during my rides...), and I just came across the following (from winstanleys bikes):

Please Note: Assos clothing is colour rated for the temperature exposure:
Red: 12-18 degrees
Blue: 8-16 degrees
Titan: 6-12 degrees
Yellow: 0-8 degrees
Black: -6-+6 degrees

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 851_Jacket

As far as I know, there are no differences between colours, does anyone know whether that's true?

Cheers

Comments

• Thats wrong, go on the Assos website and all will be explained. http://www.assos.com/ its just the colour options for each jacket shirt etc.
  • This is what I just did. There is no reference about colour coding and temperature exposure whatsover on the ASSOS website. So, I agree, it's nonsonse.
  • Colour coding statement on their site is completely wrong but the 851 is an excellent jacket.... Buy buy buy!
  • I'm almost hitting the buy button! But to be honest, I also like to Castelli Espresso jacket a lot! So, have to make my mind quickly in order to get the jacket in time for the next club run!
    :roll:
  • Hmmmmm... Not tried the Espresso though I have tried it on. Quite different animals. The 851 is super comfortable but probably not so good in the wet. I haven't actually tried the Espresso though so am happy stand corrected by anyone with both!
  • Where did you get to try the Castelli? I went to Condor this week but they don't have any in stock, and they said they are probably not getting any more in. I know there is a bike shop in Richmond that stocks Castelli, might go there tomorrow to check it out.

Regarding the waterproof issue, I guess I just need to carry a waterproof-ish lightweight jacket in my backpocket if things get nasty.

The other thing is: the Assos is a bit cheaper, you can get it for around 160 quid, whereas the Castellis 09 jackets are going for £184 from Wiggle.
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    edited November 2008
    On the Winstanleys link the 851 was £133 and I'm sure you could improve on that with a bit of searching around. Bruce at Prologue in Sheen - www.prologuebikes.com - had lots of Castelli stuff in stock but give them a call before you make a trip...

As far as I could see Castelli randomly jacked up 09 prices without making significant changes. You may find a deal on 08 stock.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I wore my 851 jacket (and element zero gilet over the top) today, I had icicles forming on my ergos and headtube but I stopped nice and warm.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    As far as I'm aware, the colours don't have any relevance as far as temperature goes. Not sure where Winstanleys got that from.

I would love to see them give temp ranges to the new limited edition colours for the Airblock jackets too lol.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Where did you get to try the Castelli? I went to Condor this week but they don't have any in stock, and they said they are probably not getting any more in. I know there is a bike shop in Richmond that stocks Castelli, might go there tomorrow to check it out.
    Cyclefit in Covent Garden usually have good stock of Castelli kit if you're still looking for somewhere in central London to try a Castelli jacket on.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've seen that colour coding as a joke - not sure which site - dont think it was Winstanleys - but it was definitely tongue in cheek.