Cable vs Hydraulic Discs

2»

Comments

• Each to their own I guess, but I LOVED my Hayes HFX9s that I had on my Trance 4. Never had to do anything except change the pads, and they were the only disc brake I've known that were silent even in wet, muddy conditions.

They're VERY low maintenance now - the bike got stolen!

Got Juicy 3s now, 203 on front and 185 on back. Not been that impressed with them, not as confidence inspiring as the HF9s. (IMHO)

Thinking of changing to Hayes Stroker Carbons as they're so cheap on Merlin. Anyone used them?
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    cee wrote:
    one of my riding buddies wont ride hydros because if a cable snaps, he has a spare in his pack and its easy fixed. Blow a hydro line and you have no brake till you get it home..

Well, you could carry a spare hose and fluid if you really wanted ;) Thing is, often times when a line gets destroyed, it's a fitment error. If you have a crash and the bar twists and pulls a hose out or similiar, it probably didn't have enough slack in the first place, frinstance. They shouldn't ever fail just through day to day use, maybe one might wear through at a rub spot over time but that's just bad maintenance.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i used to use cable disk brakes on my bike - often the cable stuck with mud and oil and they werent very powerful or reliable.

i now use avid juicy 5s and up till now they have been great.
    really powerfull and so reliabale

hydros
  • James_F
    James_F Posts: 137
    Don'tn want vcables, stretch, hydralucis bette,powerr, go for it
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    James_F wrote:
    Don'tn want vcables, stretch, hydralucis bette,powerr, go for it

Lay off the mineral oil mate, it's not good.
  • spadey
    spadey Posts: 54
    I'm on V-brakes at the moment and looking to upgrade. I know nothing about discs and have a couple of quick questions. My hubs are the standard 6 bolt hubs but I'm not sure which rotor size to get. Are all sizes compatible with all frames/hubs?

How easy is it to set up a hydraulic brake? I know my way around a bike but as mentioned I have no knowledge of discs at all. Do they require a pro to set them up and make sure they are all working?

Is it me or are all the £50 ish disc brakes out of stock everywhere?! Also is it worth actually getting a brake for £50?

Cheers for any help
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What bike andf fork do you have? Are the shifters seperate fropm the brake levers?
  • spadey
    spadey Posts: 54
    Its a Saracen Dirtrax 3 (2005 model). with a Marazocchi fork but not sure of the model. Yes the shifters are separate from the levers.

Cheers
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A pair of Deore hydro discs can be got for less than 100 quid - pre bled, easy to fit.

160mm rotor front and back will be fine for an XC bike like that, or 180 front if you are a heavy rider.