Chainsuck

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited November 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I have quite bad chainsuck on my Crush. The chain sticks to the bottom of the granny and the middle ring up front, it doesn't release, then the rear mech smacks the underside of the chainstay.

So I looked into how I can fix it, I tried to clean everything, re-oil and it still did it, so I think I do need to purchase something to fix it.

I'm aware that I'll probably need a new chain, along with a new rear cassette, and I will probably need to replace the granny ring and the middle ring up front. I know which cassette and chain I'm going for.

Here comes the question!

How good are middleburn chainrngs? Has anyone used them instead of Shimano XT ones, or are there any other brands which offer better longevity or shifting than the XT ones?

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    apparently regular deore chain rings are steel and last for yonks, might be worth a look if you dont wanna spend middleburn money
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    ahhh... but Deore weigh a ton (well maybe a couple of grams more than XT :lol: ). Always seems wrong to go down the groupset ladder, but that's just the snob in me. Be interresting to see if you chain has stretched a lot as that could have significantly contributed to the premature wear of the front rings.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result