Good LBS in Cambridge ??

mikedobson
mikedobson Posts: 186
edited November 2009 in The bottom bracket
The town is awash with bike shops but does anyone know a good proper one where i can buy some decent winter gear?

All input welcome

Cheers

Mike
Character Fully Formed - please send no more problems.

Comments

• Al_38
    Al_38 Posts: 277
    ben hayward cycles is normally pretty good. Or Howes Cycles is good for family based cycling stuff and a bit of road bits and bobs too.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I'd avoid Ben Hayward for bike service etc.

They seem to charge an awful lot for not doing very much.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,142
    The City Cycle Centre in Ely is the best bike shop I found when I lived in Cambridge. I think they are an Assos stockist too so they offer a good range of clothing.
  • hoff
    hoff Posts: 14
    JT CYCLES in Chettisham, Ely is good. Jerry is a wheelbuilder by trade but does service bikes etc and charges reasonable prices too. As for winter gear, internet! Haywards is quite expensive for clothing etc
  • I've had a some good stuff from Howes, shoes, jakect and the like. of course, they are more expensive than my usual supplier (Wiggle) but if you need to try before you buy they are ok.
  • bobalob
    bobalob Posts: 18
    +1 for City Cycle Centre in Ely. Good quality kit and the owner is very helpful. Better than any of the bike shops in Cambridge.
  • Where would people recommend for bike (well wheel) service preferably in Cambridge itself?
    If every mistake you make is a new one ... cheer up, you're making progress!
  • there is a guy who works in Richardson's in Histon who does wheel building. Not used him myself yet but intend to give him go when I next need that kind of thing
  • I don't think many of the bikeshops in Cambridge are much cop really.
    As already mentioned, Ben Haywards are friendly enough, but do charge a lot.
    Howes is quite expensive, and the level of service can sometimes be crap, but the range of stuff in their is okay.
    If your spending a lot of money, I reckon you should look further afield.
    like a rolling stone
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Ben Haywards the shop is fine but second the above comments about the servicing workshop round the corner to the shop. Wheel truing or build prices are silly money which makes me conclude either they don't want the work or they can't actually true or build wheels so frighten people away with ridiculous quotes eg £120 to build a wheel :lol: .

Howes are ok although they can be a bit - dour.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • I've bought a bike and various other bits from Howes but when I asked them about facing the BB shell for a HTII crankset, they said that they can't do it because they never bother when fitting them! Ben Hayward did the job for £15 and seemed to do it OK, from what I can tell.

If you're simply looking to buy bits, I've had good service from both (when I've needed to try things on - shoes, lids, etc...)

_
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    You need to go to Ely City Centre for good service. I believe he stocks some of the following brands:

Bikes:
    - Orbeas
    - Pinarellos

Clothing:
    - Giordana
    - Assos
    - Orbea
    - SIDI

Bits:
    - BBB
    - Smart

He stocks more stuff but that is what I remember from the top of my head
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    dilemna wrote:
    Ben Haywards the shop is fine but second the above comments about the servicing workshop round the corner to the shop. Wheel truing or build prices are silly money which makes me conclude either they don't want the work or they can't actually true or build wheels so frighten people away with ridiculous quotes eg £120 to build a wheel :lol: .

Howes are ok although they can be a bit - dour.

A shop with dour service in Cambridge?

Well I never...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.