Fitting discs to a hybrid - road vs MTB

Konan
Konan Posts: 43
edited December 2008 in The workshop
I'm looking at fitting discs onto my hybrid at some point in the future (for stopping heavy loads) and when browsing I've found some disc brakes for road use.

I assume the difference will be in the cable pull as road brakes pull a lot more cable than MTB but I just want to check that I won't run into offser issues if I use MTB calipers on 700c disc wheels.

Also, does anyone know of a shop that does a reasonable set of 700c disc wheels (IS preferable)? I'm looking for something cyclocross sturdy as my hybrid's quite often put on MTB trails ;)

Comments

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I think cable pull is the only issue here. Personally id pick MTB as they are probably more robust the road.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a disc hub is a disc hub...... you just need to make sure you get the correct disc fitting for the hub. 6 bolt IS or the shimano spline patten.

road cable disc are for the road levers.

MTB cable discs only work with MTB V brake compatible levers.

one final possible issue is the hub width. rear MTB hubs are 135mm
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Konan
    nicklouse wrote:
    a disc hub is a disc hub...... you just need to make sure you get the correct disc fitting for the hub. 6 bolt IS or the shimano spline patten.

It'll be 6 bolt. My outing's into the world of centre lock have left me with a proverbial barge pole.
    nicklouse wrote:
    road cable disc are for the road levers.

As I suspected. just a case of cable pull then. Probably a shorter arm on the caliper
    nicklouse wrote:
    MTB cable discs only work with MTB V brake compatible levers.

They'll work with road levers. Just might be agressive in an over the handlebards kind of way ;)
    nicklouse wrote:

There are road disc hubs around on 130mm width, just rare. Got to measure my dropouts today, but I suspect they'll be 135mm as it's a more mountainish hybrid than road.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Konan wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

There are road disc hubs around on 130mm width, just rare. Got to measure my dropouts today, but I suspect they'll be 135mm as it's a more mountainish hybrid than road.

if there are any 130mm disc hubs out there they are almost as rare as hens teeth.

I think there is a DT one......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Konan
    FSA do a set.