Specialized Defroster boots - experience?

Lagavulin
Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
edited November 2008 in Workshop
Anyone have any with these?

I use SPDs on all my bikes and rather than buy a set of overshoes I was wondering if anyone had tried these or an equivilent SPD winter shoe :?:

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    I have a pair which get used mainly offroad, but also on the road with my winter hack. The boots themselves are waterproof (although water could still get in over the tops, obviously) and they are warm enough for 2-3 hour rides in cold winter weather.

I did three hours at Coed y Brenin during the cold snap a few weeks ago and my toes were just starting to get a bit chilly in the last half hour, but not to the point where it bothered me. That was with a pair of thin summer socks underneath, so a pair of thicker or winter socks would probably have been better.

The boots are very comfortable and the soles are good n stiff. I have read reviews which find that some of the other winter boots may be warmer than these (possibly true on longer rides), but I like em..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I had a pair for a week or so and they were okay, basically, but I preferred the feel and weight of my regular shoes+overshoes, so I went back to them and sold the defrosters on ebay. The defrosters just felt too bulky. Didn't ride enough to comment on their warmth etc. but they seemed fine.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Appreciate the replies. Might give them a bash. It's warmth I'm after. I've got a couple of pairs of Specialized MTB shoes (expert & comp) but the mesh fronts - even with woolie boolies and sealskins waterproof socks - aren't really suitable at this time of year.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I have had the defrosters for about a year. They aren't all that water resistant, or all that warm to be honest. In the current weather I wear them with some heavy duty seal skinz winter socks and overshoes on top. I bought them thinking I would get away with them by themselves over winter, but they just aren't up to the job in my experience
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    If it's warmth you're after then avoid the 'Defrosters' at all costs - they're useless. Specialized couldn't have chosen a worse name for them!

So much so that today my feet were warmer with my normal Sidis and seal skinz socks than they ever have been in my Defrosters, even with the same socks! :shock: :roll: