New Bike Guilt? Pah! NEW BIKE!!!

johnnyrotten
johnnyrotten Posts: 216
edited November 2008 in MTB general
Forget all that guilt stuff. Here's the new ride.

3066886050_e3720798b3.jpg

3066042923_fe3070a387.jpg

3066882088_d5534873ab.jpg

3066880088_783116a6b7.jpg

3066034887_171ee872c3.jpg

Test time in Macc Forest Monday morning!!! :twisted: [/url]

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    that is very nice looking, early xmas pressie?
  • Nah Sheepsteeth, early christmas bonus present, bought with kind permission of my significant other. Gawd Lub 'er. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicely done
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Very nice. Was in All Terrain a coupe of weeks ago looking at Trek's and the salesguy was trying to tempt me with this bike.

They had knocked a grand off it and had it up for £1700! :shock:

Going back today to have another look [if it hasnt been snapped up!]
  • very nice :)

you have the borrowers on your windowsill in the first pic btw!
  • Bells, get in there quick, that's all I'll say... :D

It might be those borrowers that keep nicking all the biscuits. :wink:
  • i've got those brakes there great :)
  • nice one! looks a bit clean though :D
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Been thinking about getting one of these myself - but not a lot of reviews or info to be found online. Couldn't believe it when I opened this post and saw what bike you'd got!

Did you go for a ride yet? I want to know everything you can tell me about it.

Even if that's just how light it is at the moment because you haven't ridden it.

Did you pick it up and compare with weight of similar spec Anthem by any chance?
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Nice kitchen...............oh and the bikes ok too :wink::D
  • Chaka,

I know what you mean about a lack of reviews. I don't get it - it's not like it's a rubbish bike that no-one would buy.

A similarly specced Anthem would obviously be the Anthem Advanced 1. I think the Anthem would probably have a slight edge weight wise over my bike. But, compared to my Anthem 2, my new bike is noticably, but not considerably lighter.

My set up also makes it slower on tarmac (wider, grippier rubber, platforms, lower seat position) compared to my Anthem2, with eggbeaters and my ass almost higher than my head. But even on grass, the Trance shows its worth and blows the ally Anthem away. THEN, it feels REALLY light.

Another thing I've noticed is that no pictures you see of the Trance Adv. will do it justice. The carbon, built quality and overall finish will never show on a photo. You have to see one up close.

Race Face Evolve XC bars, stem, seatpost and crank set are a nice finishing touch, and the DT Swiss hubs add another bit of 'bling' to the mix. Don't need to say anymore on quality and functionalty of these components. Tested time and time again.

My fiancee has an XTC 2.5, I've got an Anthem 2 the Trance Advanced One. I've been hands on maintaining them and learning as much as I can. I've only been riding a year so my knowledge is far from great, but for me this is a dream bike. Go on Chaka, you know you deserve one!! :)
  • Chaka Ping
    Cheers for the reply Johnny.

That's really weird, I've got an Anthem too, an '07 zero, which I'm looking at this to replace - as I don't see myself making a race comeback and think the Trance could be more versatile (and not so terrifying on steep stuff).

Does the Trance feel noticeably stiffer than your alu Anthem? I imagine the carbon would give it a more solid feel.
  • Not too sure about stiffness off road yet. Plus i'm not at the level where I can make a frame flex. Or if I am, then I'm missing it. I'll give it a good try when I take it out 'properly'. :)

You seem stuck in two minds between Anthem and Trance- what sways you?
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    nice bike...
    How the hell did you get to put it in the kitchen, my other half would kill me if I tried that!
    There's only one thing missing on the bike...MUD!
    Not really active
  • lookin sexy that bike is nice hope it does well on the trails
  • Ah, mud. The best accessory there is! I won't be allowed it in the kitchen then. I had to sneak it in there while the mrs was out!
  • Chaka Ping
    You seem stuck in two minds between Anthem and Trance- what sways you?

I've loved my Anthem since I got it a year and a half ago, it's just so ridiculously fast - but it does feel a bit spindly (as you'd expect from a superlight XC race bike).

Also, I've started to notice its limitations more as I alternate it with riding my Cove Handjob and Yeti 575 - both of which can handle a lot rougher stuff.
  • jdp
    jdp Posts: 26
    I look forward to seeing it at work!!! :wink:
  • JDP, it's been at work! Until Friday when I took it oop North. I hated leaving it in the back yard. I even had it in the office instead at one point!

But, it must be used properly, not as a commuter, And the Chilterns are not worthy compared to whats near :) Macc.....