Us vs them

biondino
biondino Posts: 5,990
edited December 2008 in Commuting chat
While the commuting forum isn't as heavily trafficked as the road and MTB fora, I noticed the following statistics:

MTB forum - 269277 posts on 28,589 threads = 9.42 posts/thread

Road forum - 286,804 posts on 24,270 threads = 11.82 posts/thread

Commuting Forum - 67,463 posts on 3,643 threads = 18.52 posts/thread

We are therefore twice as interesting as the rest of Bikeradar - official!

(Also I just noticed the newest Bikeradar member is stephen_hawking. Welcome, Professor, and I look forward to finding out what bike you ride!)

Comments

• Or simply a tendency to wander OT within threads with alarming regularity
    :D:D
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Commuting forum has 2 forum areas, road and mtb have considerably more to talk about hence the larger number of subforums with a larger number of posts + threads overall.

I think they win by total volume....
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • biondino
    No, we win. We're the best.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    better at talking trivia? :wink: (symptom of boredom at work?).
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Its not trivia - its a greater interest in the outside world 8)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    biondino wrote:
    Ah, but our threads are quality.

Also, it's very Londoncentric - your all making up for not talking to each other unless there's some catastrophe that's the biggest thing since the Blitz!

:twisted:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Crapaud wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    Ah, but our threads are quality.

Also, it's very Londoncentric - your all making up for not talking to each other unless there's some catastrophe that's the biggest thing since the Blitz!

:twisted:

Yes, the threads are usually very amusing! And Londoncentric, fair enough, but I am quite envious of the Christmas Party :cry:
  • Londoncentric it may be, but for tonight it belongs to us yokels! :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think the commuting forum is boring. Too much London talk, too much talking about work, too many rants, too many moans, and too many people cycling on the footpaths or with no lights going through red lights.......... :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Crapaud
    alfablue wrote:
    Yes, the threads are usually very amusing! And Londoncentric, fair enough, but I am quite envious of the Christmas Party :cry:
    Don't be. You'd just feel out of place texting the person across the table on your Blackberry.
    Londoncentric it may be, but for tonight it belongs to us yokels!
    [redneck]

Yup, ah do believe yur right, Billyjoe!

*plays banjo*

[/redneck]
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I think we've gone off-topic enough on this thread that 'Us vs Them' now means 'Yokels vs Londoners'... :lol:
  • Crapaud
    I think we've gone off-topic enough on this thread that 'Us vs Them' now means 'Yokels vs Londoners'... :lol:
    There's more of us. Yokels win!!!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Not as much fun is it when Team SCR are not here to add flavour to the forum :lol:

Yes it's London centric but not exclusive for a start quite a few people myself included travelled far to be there last night and look at Jen J's latest thread on regular rides, see it's mostly out of town.

Don't forget the yokel unite thread, i'd say there are as many West Country members as there are Londoner's.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I was at the SCR Christmas Party, and I'm an out of towner...SCR is a national pastime...or dare I say international? Come on 'fess up someone, there are people from all over the world on Bike Radar...next year we go global! 8) :o
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    biondino wrote:
    While the commuting forum isn't as heavily trafficked as the road and MTB fora, I noticed the following statistics:

MTB forum - 269277 posts on 28,589 threads = 9.42 posts/thread

Road forum - 286,804 posts on 24,270 threads = 11.82 posts/thread

Commuting Forum - 67,463 posts on 3,643 threads = 18.52 posts/thread

We are therefore twice as interesting as the rest of Bikeradar - official!

(Also I just noticed the newest Bikeradar member is stephen_hawking. Welcome, Professor, and I look forward to finding out what bike you ride!)

You're a patient counter - did you read them all too? :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • ansbaradigeidfran
    ansbaradigeidfran Posts: 526
    edited November 2008
    itboffin wrote:
    Don't forget the yokel unite thread, i'd say there are as many West Country members as there are Londoner's.
    I'm not so much West Country as West of Offa's Duke, though.
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...I was at the SCR Christmas Party, and I'm an out of towner...SCR is a national pastime...or dare I say international? Come on 'fess up someone, there are people from all over the world on Bike Radar...next year we go global! 8) :o
    I didn't feel that I'd been in the game long enough when arrangements for this one were made, but I'm very eager to come along to the next one. Train times will probably mean I'll have to leave the party at 9ish to avoid a night on the platforms. :?
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    does this mean us MTBers have a short attention span?...
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Fortunately I've only been to London three times.It's so unfriendly and aggressive,the people just stare at you and scowI,and nobody speaks English.I couldn't wait to get back up north.
    Having said that,the Londoners on BR seem like a decent bunch so maybe I've been unlucky.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Fortunately I've only been to London three times.It's so unfriendly and aggressive,the people just stare at you and scowI,and nobody speaks English.I couldn't wait to get back up north.

Very similar to my first impressions 14 years ago!

Were you on the tube (a grim place to be)? Or an equivalent place above ground, like Leicester Square? Or The City (but people speak English there).
    Having said that,the Londoners on BR seem like a decent bunch so maybe I've been unlucky.

Sounds like it; we're perfectly normal :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    cjcp wrote:

Were you on the tube (a grim place to be)? Or an equivalent place above ground, like Leicester Square? Or The City (but people speak English there).
    l :D

Yes,I was on the tube.My experience of London is limited to the Tube, tourist attractions and a funeral.
    Anyway,today is frosty but sunny with blue skies so I'm off for a ride in the Dales.
  • biondino
    W5454 wrote:

You must be thinking of somewhere else. In London we avoid eye contact like it's something contagious.

(the flip side, of course, is that when we do make friends we can let down our guard and become just as fun and kind and generous as you provincials :P )
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Or the commuting forum spends half as much time actually riding?
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Interesting stats there.
    Envious to the SCR party too. Oh well, maybe next time I can make it down to one. hehe
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • W5454 wrote:
    It's so unfriendly and aggressive,the people just stare at you and scowI,and nobody speaks English.

Sonds like Leeds when I moved here 10+ years ago from the sunny side of the Pennines. I keep telling people that I am here on missionary work! :D
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Tykes think that "Missionary work" is a sexual position for posh people who don't have bus stops.

Be careful
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I think you have to have lived (or still live) in London to be able to comment on it.

I have so am qualified.

Its....

...rather....

....busy