So, just had my first go on a road bike..

jangle
jangle Posts: 114
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
And it was awesome! Didn't even go that fast as it as it was a test ride from Evans and I didn't want a £1200 bill at the end but it is definitely something I could get hooked on! Commute on a slick shod MTB at the moment and this was a world apart. The bike I rode wasn't even one I wanted as I have my sights set on a Focus Variado but was very cool anyway. Downside is that my bank balance is going to go down.. a lot..

Comments

• neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    This is very bad news indeed. I was hoping that you would say that it wasn't so great... you might have just cost me a lot of money 8)

I know a lot of people who have been converted to road bikes from MTB but I'm trying to hold out as long as possible.

Let us know how you get on.

N
  • My other half spent weeks trying to talk me out of getting a road bike earlier this year - it would be dangerous, I'd never use it, drop handlebars aren't safe in traffic, roadies are wimps (?!) etc etc. It didn't work of course as I never listen to him anyway but something weird happened since then and now he's lycra-clad, doing cyclocross races and about to join a road club. I didn't expect to convert him quite so quickly...
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    neil² wrote:
    I'm trying to hold out as long as possible.
    Resistance is futile. Waste no more time, submit to the Force.

You might even enjoy it ;)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Welcome to the dark side.

Luke - I am your father.

etc

etc

8)
  • Nowt wrong with using both.......?

I use a road bike (MONOC Quattromono) and Giant XTC SX, commute by towpath and/or road, switch nobblies to semi slicks on the MTB of course. Makes a change now and again, do the same on the weekends, just adds a nice variation to your cycling.

It's all about choices and not closing your mind to other options.
    Live every day like it\'s your last, cos one day.......your gonna be right!
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    jangle wrote:
    And it was awesome! Didn't even go that fast as it as it was a test ride from Evans and I didn't want a £1200 bill at the end but it is definitely something I could get hooked on! Commute on a slick shod MTB at the moment and this was a world apart. The bike I rode wasn't even one I wanted as I have my sights set on a Focus Variado but was very cool anyway. Downside is that my bank balance is going to go down.. a lot..

I know what you mean, riding a road bike was brilliant, I cannot wait for mine to be delivered and get out on it....... and my bank balance is already suffering, already bought all the gear and accessories, just need the bike!
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Nowt wrong with using both.......?

Perfectly put Billy :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jangle

Surely by trying a road bike I am opening up my options as before I had only ridden an MTB??

Gav888 - Any ideas what you are going to get?

NeilA - Will do!
  • Good to see a positive experience. An MTB-riding mate of mine was on the verge of buying a road-bike and wanted to have a go on one before doing so, so I lent him mine and he hated it! Couldn't cope with the position at all. Saved some money, though.
  • Gav888
    jangle wrote:

Surely by trying a road bike I am opening up my options as before I had only ridden an MTB??

Gav888 - Any ideas what you are going to get?

NeilA - Will do!

A month ago I bought a Saracen Tour 3, lovely looking bike and a good spec for me, there are other bikes with a better spec for simular money, but looks are important to me and I love the look of it.

2996718395_cf6ca7f54b_o.jpg

I got told today that I should have it in 2 days, and ive bought everything for it, lights, tool kit, computer, helmet etc etc.... just want the bike!
  • jangle
    Nice. The fact you like the look will defintely add a few miles an hour on to your speed! Let us know how it rides.
  • Gav888
    Yep, have to agree, I didnt want a bike I didnt like the look of, im no tart, but looks are important and im sure I will go another 5pmh on looks alone :)

Got it last night........ after a month or waiting and its lovely, so light, I cannot wait to get out on it but I need to set it up properly and fit the computer.

At present it almost looks like the frame is too big, but looking at video's and pictures road bikes do look bigger than a MTB. Im 5"10 or 5"11 and I went for the 57 frame, also this size was recommended by the shop I bought it from, so I guess its just because its my first road bike and its not setup?? I will see how it feels once its setup and let you know..

So far I have only ridden it 2ft in the living room!! :wink: