Compact chainrings

Spoff
Spoff Posts: 98
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
I'm getting some compact chainrings from Santa this year (50/34 since you ask) and want to know if I'm going to need to shorten my chain as I ride a bog standard 53/39?
If so, Santa needs to get me a chain tool as well and I'll need the god of bike maintenance on my side not to destroy the chain (I'm not very mechanically minded . . . but it looks easy).

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I took one full link out - would recommend a KMC link or similar for rejoining, so any half decent chain tool should be okay.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I took 2 links out of mine after changing from the same setup you describe. I tried one link first but it wasn't enough so took out the second. You'll also need to lower your front dr.

It's not a difficult thing to do.

I'd also second SlowD's suggestion above.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Spoff
    Spoff Posts: 98
    Lowering the front derailleur sounds potentially disastrous, is it genuinely easy?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Spoff wrote:
    Lowering the front derailleur sounds potentially disastrous, is it genuinely easy?

Loosen off the cable, then loosed the clamp bolt, lower,tighten and tighten the cable. It is fairly straight forward.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Spoff wrote:
    Easy peasy. Look at the Park Tool website for help on installing and setting up the front mech.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    This is a quick and reliable guide to getting the correct chain length -

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... hcalc.html
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    When you say you are getting chainrings, you mean a full chainset? Compact chainsets/chainrings tend to have a 110mm bcd, and standard chainsets 130mm - this would mean compact rings won't fit on a standard crankset.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • not to hijack the thread, but can I easily switch out my 105 trip chainset for a 105 compact?

and will doing so give me less of an issue with crossover of gears - i.e. on the triple at the mo, not using large chainright + large on the cassette. whats the proper name for that anyway??
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • I swap to compact from 39-53 and just move the front mech. Leave the chain as is, you can do this job in about 15 mins with a bit of practice.
  • SAY WHAT??? :roll:
  • I Agree with Slow Downcp and My-kee ?????????

1 full link is another persons 2 links.

Good idea to use a KMC joining link. You need to join inner links together using this method.

Also move the front mech down a bit