What's the worst thing you've ever bought for your bike?

_Ferret_
_Ferret_ Posts: 660
edited November 2008 in MTB general
Personally I'm sick of hearing how great everything is. You rarely hear a bad review of something these days. Everything is always good or amazing, I guess that has to do with development steps in our sport.
Still what is the worst of most useless thing you've bought for your bike recently?

I got a pair of knee warmers which don't fit properly and slip down constantly when riding. I only wear them to prove a point to the girlfriend...

Anyone else?
Not really active

Comments

• I brought a Cateye Cadence computer for my road bike. Cost me £30 and lasted 82miles. No, wait that was the replacement, the first one lasted ONE ride. :evil: And no, I never used it in the rain.

I can't be bothered with using a computer now.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Rubbish rear light from Bikehut - changed the batteries twice in one month, clip broke and had to be fixed with superglue, finally the switch button fell off - I used it for less than a month :x
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Done the rubbish light thing too - never again!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    At the moment, I'd have to say my Lyrik 2 step forks. In for warranty on a malfunctioning 2 step system. Not had the bike now for the last 2 weeks while it gets sorted out.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Two products I've been majorly disappointed with recently.

1) Raceface Flow gloves. I wore through the synthetic leather palm on the thumb of these gloves on both hands within 5 rides. JUST AWFUL.

2) Pearl Izumi Overshoes. Very poorly made. I pulled the velcro tab off one of the overshoes when I was trying to do it up for the first time. It was like it was held on with blu-tack! The other which I had managed to get on was exceptionally poorly fitting. So I took them back to get them swapped for some BBB ones that are much much better.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Think this thread might have been done already...

Linky...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    ratty2k wrote:
    At the moment, I'd have to say my Lyrik 2 step forks. In for warranty on a malfunctioning 2 step system. Not had the bike now for the last 2 weeks while it gets sorted out.

I thought 2 Step was supposed to be all sorted since the 08 forks? Bad luck anyway mate...
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • i bought a rear mudguard ... a topeak defender i think it was the trouble never stoped !

firstly putting it on my bike was a knightmare as you have to thread through a pice of fabriccy stuff through a tiny hole and then twist it some how with the mudguard its self pulling it away.

next when riding the front attatchment constantly slipped and draged on my wheel so off it came

and finaly when ever i rode over a small bump it would twist and fall down !

not a good buy :(
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    BlackSpur wrote:
    ratty2k wrote:

I thought 2 Step was supposed to be all sorted since the 08 forks? Bad luck anyway mate...

Yer, me too- thats why I bought them. Mind, some good news today... they will be back on my bike on Tuesday. So if anyone sees the very happy fat bloke on a black Reign around the Marin on Wednesday, that'll be me!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • i bought a rear mudguard ... a topeak defender i think it was the trouble never stoped !

i found this mudguard to be alright, a bit of a faff about getting it on like you say, but once its on its pretty secure, in my experience anyway
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I brought a Cateye Cadence computer for my road bike. Cost me £30 and lasted 82miles. No, wait that was the replacement, the first one lasted ONE ride. :evil: And no, I never used it in the rain.

I can't be bothered with using a computer now.

Cateye Strada Cadence? I've found mine Ok, so far....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I bought a "carbon" bar a while back on ebay that turned out to be a steel bar with a carbon-look sticker over it, it weighed about half a kilo. Still, I got my money back and kept the bar, so it worked out OK in the end.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bloody GORE 'Ride On' cable set - absolutely woeful.

I realise I'm probably not going to make many friends here but they were the biggest waste of money; all £40 of it!

Being this price I expected them to be flawless and believed I'd never have to buy cables ever again but after a full two months of use, I had to bin them.
    The problem starts when you open the box and discover that you haven't got enough outer cable to run the full length of the bike. Then when you cut the inner cables, the thin plastic/clingfilm membrane over them stretches and frays which makes it hard to get it through the outer cable; an outer cable which is nigh-on impossible to cut with any man made object.
    When you do finally get them on your bike, they feel tight, hard to shift and they aren't well sealed so fill up with crap.
    I'm angry just thinking about them... :evil:
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    A $2.00 pair of clear work sunnies for a wet winter ride. One wipe with my gloved hand and the lens was impossible to see through.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    1) Raceface Flow gloves. I wore through the synthetic leather palm on the thumb of these gloves on both hands within 5 rides. JUST AWFUL.

Mine lasted a whole summer, including a week in Spain, but I was still gutted when the thumb finally popped through.
  • impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    I'm almost embarrassed to admit this one :oops: .....
    My 1st proper MTB was a '99 Marin B17 (back when the B17 was a 6-inch full-susser 8) ). I wasn't too impressed with the way the V's pushed forks and the rear stays apart, so decided to get some, bluddy expensive, carbon arches. Worked a treat on the forks. Gave the V's a whole new lease of life. Can't say the same about the back though. Bloody thing whacked the seat stay as soon as the suss compressed. Doh! And I felt too stupid to take 'em back to the LBS. :roll: They're probably still lying in my garage somewhere...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    In a similar vein to the Gore ables - I'd have to say the flying Snakes cables - for pretty much the same reasons!! That grey liner thing just pulls through the outer cable and stops the whole thing shifting properly.....I'd rather buy cheap cables and change them more regularly

although i was thinking of going gore next.....hmmm
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • This would have to be the worst thing i have ever bought

4t8zlt.jpg

I cant imagine what i was thinking when i bought that.
  • Just to balance the thread, I love my gore ride-on cables. I can't remember what ghost shifts are.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.