Chain Reaction Flood Sale? Dud sale more like!

padonbike
padonbike Posts: 46
edited November 2008 in MTB general
The message on the their site seems moderately plausible:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Info ... LargeID=39
but is it just me who thinks it's a weid coincidence that the "flood" only managed to damage all the junk stock they'd love to get rid of anyway?

No 2009 Dura Ace groupsets were harmed in the making of their latest marketing scam.
aspra nella virtu', dolce nel sacrificio

Comments

• :lol:

I have to say that did occur to me too!

However, I'm useless in the face of a bargain, so I bought loads of bits anyway... and now I can't afford to buy my family Christmas Presents!!!

Damn them and their sly marketing!
  • I don't know about that.... I got some half price carbon bars, fizik saddle etc etc... I suspect though that what happened is the water damaged items on lower shelves, and to my mind at least, that would be stock that is either old and not selling well, or very expensive and not used much (as the stuff on easy to reach, middle shelves is the things you sell most of) -also, if I was designing a warehouse, I'd put the expensive things high up, to make it harder to thieve, which leads nicely to flood water damaging old stock -or maybe that's just my imagination!
  • I bought a seatpost for £8 that didn't appear to have any seaweed on it. Should I be disappointed? :?

You're probably right though :lol:
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Excuse the pun, but you might have missed the boat.

I was looking through it when it first opened and there was some pretty trick stuff on there. Sadly I was too slow for the SLX chainset, but did get a Easton AM Riser and some Raceface AM bars for about half price.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    The CRC flood sale is weeks in already, that's why the good stuff has gone. It's been going since at least the 6th of November.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Happy with the bargains I got, glad there wasn't more expensive stuff on sale as I would have spent too much, as it is I've done £29 and happy.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • my halo hub came yesterday and is still damp :lol:
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    lol - missed the boat by a long shot - I managed to pick up full x9 for bobbins, fairly high end cranks for both MTB and Road bike...

Some lucky sod beat me to a Kona Kula Primo frame, £500 down to £150!!!

The good stuff was never going to hand around long and I'm pretty sure there was plenty of Dura ace on there at the start...
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Very happy with what I bought, Crank Bros Mallets 1/2 price, Azonic carbon downhill riser bar £35! 8) X9 shifters as spares 1/2 price, a very cheap chain (nowt wrong with it), and a Thomson stem at a massive discount.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Maybe you should write to them and tell them to go and throw some of their more high end stuff in the river so you can get a discount.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    It seems that its a bit pot luck as to weather or not the item you get is OK.

To be honest if its all come out of a flooded warehouse that should be quite obvious though (assuming they havent checked every single item)
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Pot luck is a bit extreme - from what I've heard and read most of it is turning up as good as new...
  • anyone up for building sandbag walls and diverting the river into their warehouse...

Not that i'd ever condone such actions unless it nets me some cheap decent kit
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Dav1 wrote:
    It seems that its a bit pot luck as to weather or not the item you get is OK.

To be honest if its all come out of a flooded warehouse that should be quite obvious though (assuming they havent checked every single item)

Badoom tish, did ya see what he did there? :lol:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    I bought a frame and pair of forks just before flood sale, only to find them both later in the sale for £150 cheaper! gutted!!
    New bike nearly finished, will post pics soon, I'd like an honest opinion.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Some of my stuff had obviously been wet, some of it blatantly hadn't, but it was still good prices for all of it. I've just inherited the Tora 130mm SL fork that my mate bought, £85 it was! Came with all the stuff just no outside packaging. Ace...
    Uncompromising extremist