First hand account of Car vs bicycle accident

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
Just read this article in today's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/nov/28/1

I actually find it strangely reassuring. Hopefully I'll never get ploughed down by a car, but should I, it's fantastic to know that there are brilliant professionals waiting to pick me up and put me back together again.

Comments

• I can totally agree with everything said in the story, I was hit from behind by a van travelling at 70mph four weeks ago. The paramedics were there within 10 minutes and the police just after and they were all brilliant, so were the doctors and nurses at Bath Hospital.
  • Article very similar to my experience of being hit by a van at the beginning of this year. Very well-written.

My only trouble was one policewoman who said within earshot that my head injury (just a deep scrape not a fracture as they'd thought) was my fault because I wasn't wearing a helmet.

One of the two ambulance ladies gave her a proper telling-off. :D
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    My only trouble was one policewoman who said within earshot that my head injury (just a deep scrape not a fracture as they'd thought) was my fault because I wasn't wearing a helmet.

If it was a deep scrape then she was probably right...
  • biondino wrote:

I would argue that it was the van driver's fault...
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    biondino wrote:

lol, the van driver would probably argue that it was your fault for "not being on the f*ckin' pavement"
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    biondino wrote:

Thats a silly argument, you wouldn't have had that scrape if you had been wearing a helmet.

That's what the helmet is for, to protect you from van drivers! :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • To be honest I found that article very, very scary.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gabriel959 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Thats a silly argument, you wouldn't have had that scrape if you had been wearing a helmet.

Yawn. Lets not have a helmet debate. I'm with Lit, firmly in the no helmet camp.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yes it is scary. Just shows that no matter how carefully you ride, you never know when some idiot in a car is going to plough into you. I suppose it adds a certain frisson of danger to the morning commute, definitely better than squeezing like a sardine onto a train/Tube which you've paid an inflation busting price for, under the armpit of some bloke who fell out of bed late, stuck a shirt on without showering and sleepwalked to the station....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Very scary.
    I once got deliberately driven at by a policeman in a police car and know how they can behave.
    Was he going through red lights at high speed without lights and siren?
    Will he get a ban, points or any sort of reprimand; I am willing to bet that he will not.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I'm with Lit, firmly in the no helmet camp.

I'm confused. You're wearing a Bell Sweep R in the photo link on your posts!
  • I'm with Lit, firmly in the no helmet camp.

I'm confused. You're wearing a Bell Sweep R in the photo link on your posts!

In that photo he is racing (unless he usually rides round with a number on his handlebars) and it would be compuslary....but you knew that right....you're just mucking about
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Graeme_S wrote:
    it's fantastic to know that there are brilliant professionals waiting to pick me up and put me back together again.

And knock you down in the first place . :roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Urban Roadie
    Urban Roadie Posts: 21
    edited November 2008
    I was bounced off in Lewisham back in July. A Chap turning across the bus lane at the bottom of Loam Pit Hill took me out.

Went over his bonnet and ended up in a heap on the floor.

Everyone was very good as I was wandering around like a dazed weasel covered in claret for the first bit of it. True what they say about the kindness of strangers.

The Ambulance crew were first class, took me and the bike home to Bexleyheath.

Not wish to enter the helmet, no helmet debate, but in my case I hit the road hard enough to split the hat, so no question for me that it's worth wearing. I wouldn't cycle without gloves either for that matter.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    This article almost reminds me of how I felt lying there. With me it was like a big slap across the knees and my legs felt stunned. I was on the deck with me legs slightly bent and some bint walked up and said "..I dont want to worry you luv, but it looks like you've dislocated both your knees.." :lol:

Can you actually dislocate a knee? I know the crucia (sp?) ligament can snap, and the emergency services were quite worried for a bit that this might have happened.

I dont think I know anyone who has been on two wheels who hasnt been hit or clipped in some form.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    gabriel959 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Yawn. Lets not have a helmet debate. I'm with Lit, firmly in the no helmet camp.

I've never entered into the helmet debate, and I'm not trolling - just interested; do you wear a seatbelt in a car? Would you do so if you didn't have to by law?
  • I do wear a seatbelt, and yes, I would if I didn't have to. I don't mind them. Helmets bother me - that's the reason I don't wear them.
  • graeme_s-2
    downfader wrote:
    I dont think I know anyone who has been on two wheels who hasnt been hit or clipped in some form.
    :raises-hand: in over 2 and a half years of commuting (plus other riding) I have never been hit by or clipped by a car. I've come into contact with cars twice. Once I was filtering and knocked a wing mirror with my hand. Another time I was in traffic, the car in front accelerated away, I accelerated, the car in front stopped and I failed to stop in time, and literally "touched" their bumper. Only damage was to the layer of dust on their car and obviously it was my fault.

I've had my fair share of near misses though.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    W1 wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I've never entered into the helmet debate, and I'm not trolling - just interested; do you wear a seatbelt in a car? Would you do so if you didn't have to by law?

I'm sorry but I said I wouldn't enter the debate.

Anyway, seatbelts and helmets are v different things for very different modes of transport.
  • graeme_s-2
    I wear a skate boarding helmet in a car (but no seat belt) and I strap myself into the saddle of my bike, but wear no helmet :!:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Pretty sure I've never been hit or clipped by a motorised vehicle. God this is tempting fate :(
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Graeme_S wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    :raises-hand: in over 2 and a half years of commuting (plus other riding) I have never been hit by or clipped by a car. I've come into contact with cars twice. Once I was filtering and knocked a wing mirror with my hand. Another time I was in traffic, the car in front accelerated away, I accelerated, the car in front stopped and I failed to stop in time, and literally "touched" their bumper. Only damage was to the layer of dust on their car and obviously it was my fault.

I've had my fair share of near misses though.

Thats really nice to know! 8)
  • I agree - a scary story! I wonder was he wearing a cycle helmet?

I've only ever been hit once, at a roundabout in East Kilbide of all places. Someone called an ambulance (i've no idea who) even though I wasn't hurt too bad (just a twisted ankle). When they turned up they accused me of wasting their time.. thanks! Then the police car turned up and made sure the driver was accepting the blame. I asked them for a lift home (my bike was unrideable and I was uncycleable) but they said my house was too far away (10 miles or so). So in the end the guy who hit me who'd been there all along feeling sorry about the situation gave me and my bike a ride home and I got oil all over his back seat hihi! :twisted:

As for cycle helmets, I only ever cracked one. On a cycle path (Oxford-Marston), with a convenient anti-cycle barrier which I'd cycled around hundreds of times in the past on my daily commute. This time it was raining a bit I had my head down. Suddenly I looked up and thought oh sh-i-t, forgot about that. Next thing i was hurtling through the air and then landing on my head on the only rock on an otherwise muddy path. That would have been a pretty darn stupid way to die! Noone saw it thankfully!!!