Please help me decide

bingobongo
bingobongo Posts: 2
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
I just can't decide which way to go on this one.

I'm after a touring bike which can handle some rough stuff... woodland tracks, chalk stone tracks and bridleways. I also want to be able to do some longer tours on it, such as LEJOG, Penine Cycleway, etc.

I say touring bike because I want something comfy for lengthy times in the saddle. I've found MTBs not good for that.

I have two bikes in mind..

1. Dawes Sardar, old steel frame model, as new.
2. Old Thorn Raven Tour frame, which I will build up myself.

I don't know exactly what the spec of the Sardar is in terms of groupset, chainset/crankset, wheel set, etc. However, I assume that it's as new as it was built around 2002-2006 or thereabouts.

The Thorn will take a derailleur, so I reckon for the same price as the Sardar, I can build the Raven frame up with A full Shimano LX groupset, LX hubs with Mavic XM317 rims, SKS guards and a Brooks B17 saddle.

Like I said.. the price doesn't appear to be too different between the options but I can't decide. Of course, the Sardar would mean I'd be able to ride it straight away, whereas I'll have to build up the Thorn (a learning experience which I'm not afraid of). but I ssuppose it boils down to which is the better bike... A chipped but fairly well specced Thorn or an as new Steel framed Sardar?

I dunno!

Any thoughts which might help me decide? Sometimes it's better to get an outside opinion.

BB

Comments

• Sardar. That's more because I'm lazy and wouldn't bother doing the other option if it doesn't save me money.

And as you said, you could ride it straight away.
  • I have a Thorn Raven. It's fantastic.

One thing to warn you about is that it will probably come out heavier than the Sardar as it's pretty heavy duty. All depends on components and I do not know the frame weight of the Dawes, but I do know how heavy duty everything is on the Thorn. This makes no odds to me when loaded up, but if you are a whippet thin rider, it probably makes the world of difference.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan