Worn pads?

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited November 2008 in MTB general
Apart from the obvious decrease in braking power, is there any damage that can be caused with worn disc pads?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if they are worn down to the metal they can badly score your discs which means they can weaken and will be noisy as fook when you repllace your pads too.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Its a bad idea to go out for a ride with badly worn pads if its a gritty muddy ride you could run out of brakes halfway

I always replace my pads when there is at least 1.5 mm of material
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • perhaps damage ur brakes permanantly
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    it's metal on metal so it will grind down your discs and overheat the whole system - damaging the sealing and contaminating the oil
    if you really give it some you could wear through the metal of the pads and damage the pistons.
    Do yourself a favor and replace them before it's too late. I always keep a spare pair in my toolbox - disc pads seem to wear down quickly in winter.
    Not really active
  • i learnt this the hard way. my pads wore down to the metal until the post that holds the pads began rubbing on the rotor and eventually broke. I now have to replace a piston. it was the third day i was running on those pads so i had not bothered to check how worn they were. You wouldnt expect a brand new set of pads to wear out in 2 days.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    :?

i would have thought you would hear a nasty grinding noise first!
  • mtbikerboy
    mtbikerboy Posts: 325
    edited November 2008
    yep, the noise was nasty but It was my first time using hydraulic brakes... i didnt know what to expect and it was wet so i assumed it was the water....twas rather foolish of me
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Hehe, I've worn new pads out in one ride! And when you hear the change in noise, its too late. Prob no damage done if you change the pads, but if you ignore it....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....