Tyres for Jake?

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited December 2008 in The workshop
Kona Jake came with kendas. Hmm this will be puctured every day around here, hehe! Me old bike had race lites but this isnt that much of a roady bike, and I'd love to be able to go offroad now and again, kick up mud, etc. :D

So what would work well on the road AND on the more traditional cyclocross environment. I really liked the knobblies and tbh they were pretty fast. I need tough tyres for all the glass around here.

Guy in the shop I spoke to today said go for the top marathon model. I'd spend up to 50 quid if I need to.

Comments

• Konan
    Konan Posts: 43
    There are a lot of tyres in the marathon series, with various levels of puncture protection. The highest level is the marathon plus' smart guard, which they claim even a thumb tac won't puncture. And, once you've had the fight to get it on the rim, you better hope it doesn't! If you're looking off road, they do a marathon cross which is a semi-slick kind of affair.

I've been using tyres from the Vittoria Randonneur series since 2006 and I have NEVER suffered a puncture (touch wood n all). I now run Randonneur Cross tyres which run very smoothly on road and provide a surprising level of grip off it. Just don't expect them to shed mud.
  • The marthons are tough and will give some grip off road but only so much, they do deaden the bike though, partically the pluses. I use them on the big heavy bike though woods and mud and they do well but nothing like a good pair of nobblies
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Cheers guys (if you are guys :oops: )

The only thing that made me wonder abot the marathons was the outer material, looked quite plastic'y and wondered how they'd react to the road. I suppose suck it and see, as the old saying goes. :lol:
  • The Marathons are a great tyre for touring, commuting etc but not really for much more off road than tow paths and bridleways. Right up there for puncture protection though. The Schwalbe Land Cruiser has Schwalbes puncture protection belt but is a bit more nobbly. It has a continuous centre ridge which eases things on tarmac.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed