Tyre Pressure

Sukh
Sukh Posts: 23
edited November 2008 in Commuting chat
I have some construction work at the top of my road, and have had two punctures in the week, one at front and one back (so they are not from poor repair) and was wondering if I should have my tyre pumped up hard or softer? The pump doesn't have any meter or anything, just wondering what way I should go about it!

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Hard. Soft they will more likely compress enough to pinch the tube and cause a flat (pinch flat/snakebite flat as it is called). Pumped hard makes it harder for glass etc to stick as well, more likely to ping off.

Preferably buy a track pump with a gauge attached and pump up to maximum once a week, then you'll know for sure, otherwise you could be barely reaching minimum pressures.

It will also make your cycling a lot easier as well!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I always find harder prevents more punctures. If you go softer you run the risk of pinch flats.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    Tyre pressure will be on the sidewall of the tyre, if you are using a small handpump it's unlikely you are getting so much pressure in to blow them. Little minipumps are ok for roadside repairs but really you should get a track pump, about £25.

You should always have your tyres properly inflated to the correct pressure and should be checking them once a week.
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    What do your punctures look like?

If they have the classic "snakebite" pattern of a pair of holes close together at the side of the tube then you are definitely running too soft.

Cheers,
    W.
  • Sukh
    Both have been a bit of grit caught in the tread of the tyre and gone through and punctured the inner tube. I have a track pump at my other house, might get someone to bring it up on the weekend to my uni house as I believe it has a gauge.

Also, when I fit the inner tube, there seems to be an "overlap" as in the inner tube looks to big for the wheel even though they are 700C, is this just because there is very little air in them?
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I have the same thing at the back of me, I have my pressure 5psi under max (max is 80) and I have had 3 in 3 weeks now after not having any for about 600 miles, Not much you can do really.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Inner tubes always look way to big for the wheel so don't worry. As others have said - use a track pump with guage to get them close to the max pressure on the tyre wall. Most objects just ping off the tyres and you'll also find that the bike rolls an awful lot more. I had three flats this week (I flat, replaced tube but didn't find source of puncture so caused 2nd flat and then refitted my patched tube - but not patched well enough). I was therefore running for a few miles each way each day on semi inflated back wheel. Boy was it hard work. When I fixed it properly I was singing the "rollin rollin rollin" cowboy song all the way home :D :oops: :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • Sukh
    Are these slime filled tyre walls any good? I can just see them being slower and heavier?

Might just get stronger tyres like armadillos if this persists.