Nicklouse

Quirky
Quirky Posts: 123
edited November 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Thanks for locking my thread asking how much my bike is worth! How do I put it in the classifieds without knowing how much it's worth first dickhead!!!

eg: My bike for sale, don't know how much I want for it, any takers

Total knobhead!!! Thank christ it's just an internet forum you have some power over.
weight.png

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Read the rules before you go off like that!
  • Quirky wrote:
    Thanks for locking my thread asking how much my bike is worth! How do I put it in the classifieds without knowing how much it's worth first dickhead!!!

Total knobhead!!! Thank christ it's just an internet forum you have some power over.

That [bad] attitude isn't going to help muh either. Carrying on like that could get your account suspended
    As I to am someone who actually Admins a very busy Forum myself I know how fustrating it can be as an Admin/Moderator. It's nothing about "power" it's about maintaining order.

The Foums Rules are there for a reason otherwise this [and most other] Forum(s) would be a free for all.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    One of the forum rules is to not ask how much your bike is worth.

The best way to do it is put in in classified and ask for offers (if there is interest you will get some sensible ones) or on ebay.

If you are unsure about selling get on sites like ebay or root through old threads in classifies and do some research.

rule number one of forums: Do not launch an attack on mods and admins for doing their job.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Quirky
    Fair do's, it might not be about 'power' but I've noticed a few times now that Nick is very patronising when he responds to us mere mortals.

As for being suspended, it's an internet forum, I'm hardly going to lose any sleep over it.
    weight.png
  • Quirky
    By the way, it's not the fact that I'm pissed off with Nick doing his "job", it's the way in which he conducts himself. I know for a fact there are others who think the same, even if they are too scared to speak up.

Admin - please suspend my account
    weight.png
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Quirky wrote:
    Fair do's, it might not be about 'power' but I've noticed a few times now that Nick is very patronising when he responds to us mere mortals.

As for being suspended, it's an internet forum, I'm hardly going to lose any sleep over it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Do you not think people get a wee bit fed of seeing and answering the same thing over and over and over and over again?
    Nicks answers can be short and to the point, but without info or people reading the rules what do you expect knobhead? And as for conduct :lol::lol::lol: a fine example of yours at the top of the thread :roll:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Carry on, am just getting some popcorn and making myself comfortable :)

Havent seen a thread like this since I stopped visiting an american motorbike forum :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    Havent seen a thread like this since I stopped visiting an american motorbike forum :)
    The Badweb by any chance ?
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    ...and after aaaallll.....you're my wonde......Oh sorry, dont mind me! :roll:

:lol:
  • gcwebbyuk
    kawiforums.com

it used to be a laugh a minute - like a soap opera!

guys getting all manly with each other over very small things - highly entertaining!
  • ratty2k
    :lol: And just how manly were you all getting dressed up in leather? :lol::lol::lol:
    My Pics !

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    kawiforums.com
    it used to be a laugh a minute - like a soap opera!
    :lol: Pick a thread on the Badweb - any thread - and watch it burn...
  • gcwebbyuk
    ratty2k - a couple of them had masks like your pic too!
  • gcwebbyuk
    .blitz - just loaded the page and came away str8 away - what an AWFUL web page - its all over the place! :shock:
  • ratty2k
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    ratty2k - a couple of them had masks like your pic too!

:lol::lol::lol:
    But mine is from one of my fave films- Gimps go to London

Woops :lol:
    :lol::lol:
    Thats should read 'Dead man's shoes'
    My Pics !

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wonder where nick is today?!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    busy.

Oh what is it worth? what ever someone will pay for it.

some say 800 some say 500 what will you do if you only get offered 150?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ratty2k wrote:

Do you not think people get a wee bit fed of seeing and answering the same thing over and over and over and over again?
    Nicks answers can be short and to the point, but without info or people reading the rules what do you expect knobhead? And as for conduct :lol::lol::lol: a fine example of yours at the top of the thread :roll:

It actually p*sses me off when someone gets narked with a poster who's asking a question that has been asked before. What's the point in a forum if you can't just ask a harmless question? If all repeated questions were banned then it'd be a very quiet place to be. And stop pointing people at the FAQ or sticky's - only the people who bother posting those things actually knows what's in them. The rest of us really haven't got the time to trawl through every single one of them, just to find out that the answer to our question isn't even there.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Quirky wrote:

stfu3.jpg
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • What a good job there are plenty of forum users prepared to jump in and take offence on Nick's behalf, I'm sure he spent the day sobbing quietly to himself, just hoping other people would flame the OP for him.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    :lol:

far too many folks take this all way too seriously :roll:
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Andy_B wrote:
    Quirky wrote:

stfu3.jpg

+1
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I'm fairly new here and I know that Nicks replies are sometimes "short" but I can see the funny side and certainly wouldn't take any offence!
    Some folks need to take a chill pill!

Still

funniest thread in a while!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmm currently having a Pint or 3 of that STFU.

Good stuff is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Nick is a legend.
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Quirky wrote:

In general, the experts who spend their free time answering people's questions want to answer the questions, not make the person asking feel all warm and fuzzy.
    Also, they want these people to stop needing to ask questions - given any question, it is much more worthwhile to tell the person asking it how to get to the answer than to just tell them the answer.
    fanatic278 wrote:
    ratty2k wrote:

It actually p*sses me off when someone gets narked with a poster who's asking a question that has been asked before. What's the point in a forum if you can't just ask a harmless question?

One of the fantastic things about online forums (and newsgroups and mailing lists) is that you can search the archives.
    If all repeated questions were banned then it'd be a very quiet place to be.
    They're less banned than discouraged.
    What is there to gain from asking a question that's already been asked so that someone need re-enter the answer?
    And stop pointing people at the FAQ or sticky's - only the people who bother posting those things actually knows what's in them. The rest of us really haven't got the time to trawl through every single one of them, just to find out that the answer to our question isn't even there.
    So say that, then.
    If you've read the FAQ and found it doesn't answer your question, when you do post your question tell us and we'll add it.
    If you don't even have the time to look for an answer to your question, how on earth do you expect anyone else to feel the need to spend their time finding it?
    When I come to a question, if it looks like the person asking the question hasn't put any effort into finding the answer, I generally don't put any effort into giving it. If the person has been looking for an answer but not found it, and generally shown some desire to know the answer, I'll gladly put the time in to say what the answer is and why, or go and find it if I don't know what it is but think I know where to look. This goes for the majority of the members of forums and mailing lists, in my experience.

Remember, the forums are free. No-one is paid to be here - people answer the questions they want to answer.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    your last point is true, folk dont have to answer questions, including the ones which have been asked a thousand times, so if folk cant be bothered with answering the mundane questions with a proper answer, why write anything at all?

i get the impression some of the more experienced forum members think they are in a gang and the rest of us have to bow down.

there are plenty of folk with advice and experience so someone will be along to answer pretty much every question. so everyone wins eh? i do think short and sharp answers to basic questions can look very off putting especially to new members and i like this forum because it isnt (or shouldnt be) an old boys club
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    So rather than an answer that's perhaps a little more condescending than it needs to be, but still informative, you'd suggest no answer at all?

It's stupid to try to make current members act differently for the sole benefit of new users - nobody is permanently a new user, and new users make up a vanishingly small proportion of any community.
    There are a couple of balances that need striking. The norm when it comes to responding to questions must lie somewhere between a truly useful answer, and the answer perceived by the new user as truly useful. For example, if someone posts on the forum asking what size seatpin they need for frame X, the answer they see as most useful is "31.8". The answer that is the most useful is a link to a database of seatpin sizes and frame brands - it means that next time they have the same problem, they can answer it all by themselves, and that when someone else comes with a similar problem, they don't need to ask again.
    The other one is setting the tone somewhere between an environment in which the useful posters feel they may post in a manner in which they find easy and natural, and one in which a new user feels loved and cared for. If you go too far into the latter, the useful people stop posting, and the new people stop coming, and then you have no-one.

The way these things have always worked, and work best in my opinion, puts the greater burden on the person asking the question. It is up to them to first seek out the information, put together a coherent and useful question, and interpret and make use of whatever answers they get. Given that the only person to benefit from the interaction is the person asking the question, it makes little sense to expect anyone else to willingly go to great lengths to mollycoddle the user.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Big Red S wrote:
    So rather than an answer that's perhaps a little more condescending than it needs to be, but still informative, you'd suggest no answer at all?

nope.

my suggestion, for what is worth, is that the answers should be a little less condecending and still informative. it actually takes more effort to be a sheepstw@.

i see what you are saying about striking a balance but the only reason i have made comment at all is that the abrupt answers have become more frequent and by more folk quite recently. none of this is really a new thing in general and i know forums are what they are. i just think that things have started to deteriorate recently and its a bit of a shame.