Talk me out of it

Pete Beer
Pete Beer Posts: 604
edited November 2008 in Road general
I'm thinking of having a rationalisation to reduce the fleet. One choice is dispose of the Raleigh TI, On One, Lo Pro and break and store the other Raleigh TI and Argos and get a new-ish Condor track bike, which I can use as my commuter, track and roller bike and hill climber and keep the fixed Nelson for winter commuting and touring.
Would a modern aluminium or carbon bike work as a commuter? (Only 3 miles each way) or would I miss the feel of steel?

Comments

• I'm sure it would be fine, especially over only 3 miles.

Steel is comfier than aluminium or carbon though.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i'm not sure about the plan for a modern track bike on the road. the geometry would be all wrong; too whippy, uncomfortable, especially on the roads around bristol. i think the plan for reduction of the fleet, or streamlining is a noble one, but don't thik the lavoro is the frame to replace them. you'll still need a commuter; maybe something road pathy.
  • My current commuter is a "solid" ride, has really tight geometry and about 2" toe overlap, but it's quick. The Path idea is good but I can't think of a modern Path that could be taken to the track or easily convert for the rollers. I was aiming for hopefully 2 sets of wheels, one for the road and the other with lighter, slickish tyres for the tack and rollers.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Steel may or may not be comfier(whatever that might mean) than any other frame material - all depends on the tubes, how they are manipulated, the design, the angles, the wheelbase etc etc - never mind the wheels and tyres!
    Sorry, but I am firmly (and increasingly so) of the opinion that "steel is comfiest" is nothing more than a myth (putting it as pilitely as I can manage) unless heavily qualified.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    My steel framed bike is a lot more comfy on the roads around here, but does start to feel a bit dead after a while, though given the poor roads surfaces at times that can be a good thing!

On the flipside the aluminium frame of my other lets you feel all the bumps through the frame which is bad when the roads are rough, but it is a bit of a lighter feel when they are good, even though the weight is the same as the steel.

I prefer the steel frame as a result for longer rides, using the the aluminium for commuting.

What I'd like is something with maybe 5kgs less weight to it, though of course if I could lose another 5kg's from the waist and finally make it back into the BMI "normal" weight range for the first time in, um, 14 years, that would probably be better!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....