Brand - X ??

ric7481
ric7481 Posts: 103
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

am new to all this, but i do know that my current bike has to small a frame - thankyou man in Hellfords :evil:

The cycle parts are more than adequate being tiagra bits, so I am looking for a frame at reasonable (less than £250) price....Have seen what to me looks like a good frame on chain reaction, the Brand-X - but can not find much info or sizing guides on the net for them....Can anyone help ? Are they any good ?

I mainly mountain bike, but this is for my road excursions, London to Brighton, london to paris etc.....It is just a hobby for me, hence I don't want to spend a fortune.......In all honesty, I am quite happy with my Halfrauds TDF-100- apart from the size !

many thanks

Ric

Comments

• I would just get a Kinisis TK.
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    just out of interest what sort of size are you and what size is your bike because there is allot you can do to make it fit like longer/shorter stem ect.
  • ric7481
    6'2" with a 33" inside leg........my current bike is 54cm, centre to centre along the top tube
  • nipon
    nipon Posts: 68
    that dous seem a bit small,just looked at chain reaction and all the frame geometrys are there. :D
  • ric7481
    appreciate the comments - but back to the original question....anyone give me any opinions / info on Brand-X ?? :?
  • Built a Brand X mtb frame up for my Mrs. Rides nicley and has lasted well. It is however a cheap frame and money has been saved on finish. The paint is, well, it looks like it has been done with a rattle can and the head tube and BB were not finished square. The disc mounts were fine though. The welds are functional and nothing has fallen off the frame (aside from the wife :roll: ).

Gotta say that if I was looking to do the miles you suggest I would look at something slightly classier (check out On One stuff or maybe cotic) That said if I wanted a commuter hack / pub bike I'd look at a Brand X frame.
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com
  • The Kinesis frames are good value for money, I've just built up a Racelight T for winter use.

I think the Planet X SL Team Aluminium looks pretty good in the flesh too.

Depending on how long ago you bought the bike I would consider trying the Halfords store manager and/or regional manager concerning the improper advice you have been given on bicycle sizing and what you have parted with hard earned for...... That could possibly help you out some way.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I'm pretty sure Brand X is CRC's own-brand

How good they are will depend who actually makes them, before CRC stick a Brand X sticker on them.

If someone on here's got one, fair enough they can comment, but I expect you won't find much info about them by Googling or looking anywhere else than on CRC's website.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Just to echo nipon - have you looked at a longer seatpost with set back and a longer handlebar stem. Much quicker and cheaper. Some adjustable stems are available in up to 140mm lengths.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • ric7481
    Appreciate the thoughts - I don't know an awful lot about push-bikes.......I was under the impression that if I start using a long enough stem / set back seatpost to get comfortable, I'll probably end up with some interesting weight distribution / handling characteristics.....

At the moment its looking like something from Kinesis or Planet - x .......

Thanks for all your thoughts and opinions...especially with regards to the Brand -X....though it seemed a very good deal for a frame with carbon chain stays !
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Have a look at the Kinesis RC2. A very nice frame and good value.That should be about your price area (frame only).

Kinesis Racelight RC 2

Kinesis had good support when I bought mine and if you provide the info, they will help select the correct sized frame to suit your requirements. If you are interested in a Kinesis (of any model), you should perhaps contact them anyway for more detailed info.
  • ric7481
    Thanks - the RC2 does seem to be a great bit of kit for the money :) ......I think I'll up the budget a bit and look towards one of those with some nice forks , I guess a quality bike is going to last me - the rest I can transfer across from the TDF.....It is xmas soon afterall :lol:

Thanks again for the input everyone
  • ric7481 wrote:
    6'2" with a 33" inside leg........my current bike is 54cm, centre to centre along the top tube

I know size is a personal thing but I am 6' with a 33" isl and I ride 58cm in audax and race frames. I could go down to 56 for a twitchier ride but 54 seems awfully small for your height actually. How do you ride?
  • I would say you should be looking at a 56cm seat tube centre to top, with your inside leg, and top tube of 56 to 57cm centre to centre, with a 12 to 13 cm stem this should put you quite firmly on the centre of the bike with a good weight disrtibution, also with an inside leg of 33, i would be looking at a crank lenth of 172.5 or 175 depending on your thigh lenth.
  • ric7481
    With shoulder cramp mainly !! :lol: Hence the questions about frames - now I know more about it, a new frame is the way forward
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    ric7481 wrote:
    With shoulder cramp mainly !! :lol: Hence the questions about frames - now I know more about it, a new frame is the way forward

I don't know how long ago you bought the bike but if its still relatively new, have you considered taking it back and asking for a replacement of a more suitable size on the basis the original bike they fitted to you and supplied wasn't 'fit for purpose'?

Just a thought..
  • ric7481
    was bought too long ago - bought it, rode it a couple of times, then smashed myself up motorbike racing, sat in the garage for 18 months, then I started riding again.....unfortunately, no chance of taking it back....put it down to experience I guess :)
  • Not read most of the discussion :oops: but I would suggest you could pick up something a lot better than the Brand X for not a lot more money - I recently got a near mint cannondale caad 8 (very highly regarded frame) with BB30 and cannondale si cranks for 275...shop around and be patient and you'll pick up a bargain!