Thicko spoke key question (FAO robbarker or anyone else)

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited December 2008 in The workshop
I see Park Tool do spoke keys in different colours which represent different sizes. Which one do I need? Rob - I think we used the black one when we built my wheel, didn't we?

For the rest of you, the spokes were DT Competition Swiss and the nipples were the standard 12mm ones that came with the spokes.

Are spoke nipples not a standard size, then? Am I likely to need different size spoke keys for different wheels?

Comments

• maybe useless info but I used to have a chain breaker that incorporated 3 different sized spoke keys ( from evans I think )
    ' From the sharks in the penthouse,
    to the rats in the basement,
    its not that far '
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I think 12, 13 & 14g with 14 being the most common and this is a red one in the park range IIRC. There are thicker spokes used on motorbikes in 8g.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Jamey
    wait for Rob to answer but it is good to have all of them.

as often machine built wheels (as supplied on many bikes) will have one or another size. while hand builts will have another. also sometimes it is nice to cheat with a bigger size when you cant fing the spoke driver!

as an aside Mr Munson has an update for his wheel building book.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jamey
    Cool, what's new in the update?

Does anyone know what size standard DT Comp nipples are?
  • I don't know, but I have a decent spoke key in the size for most nipples, and a cool tool by cyclo. It's a ring with an L shaped cross section and nipple drivers in all the sizes!
  • Jamey
    How obvious is it when a spoke key is the wrong size?

Is it the case that it simply won't fit onto the nipple at all, or is there a danger that it'll go halfway on and then cause damage when you try to turn it?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    The black Park one is 3.22mm which fits DT nipples, and most others I've come across to be honest. It's the smaller of the different ones they do. It's very east to round a brass npple using a spoke key that's too big for it.

The DT Spokey is supposedly very good too - some people get quite religious about them, so worth a look as well.
  • Jamey
    Cheers. Was your one the three-sided wrench or the four-sided wrench?

Good holiday?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Mine are the old 3 sided ones.
  • Jamey
    Cool. Do you reckon it's worth getting the four-sided ones or are they more fiddly?
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Jamey,
    Your pictures are really excellent. You are obviously too good to be a 'pro' - meaning, there's real imagination in these compositions but no sign of a monetary return. Huge applause for restrained Photoshop editing.

I haven't explored all the site, but have you done a cycling series?