Thicko cassette questions

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited November 2008 in The workshop
Why are the smallest few sprockets of a cassette separate from the rest of the block? Why don't they just make the whole thing as one solid block like the main section is?

And why do some of the "loose" sprockets have built-in spacers that are part of the sprocket itself, whereas other ones have separate plastic spacers?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I think it's so you can replace worn sprockets without having to replace the entire cassette and give you the option of customising your gear ratios.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    cjcp wrote:
    I think it's so you can replace worn sprockets without having to replace the entire cassette

I certainly spend all my time in the 11, 12 and 13 sprockets. What? You don't? MTFU, Bikeradar commuting forum! :twisted:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I think it's so you can replace worn sprockets without having to replace the entire cassette

I certainly spend all my time in the 11, 12 and 13 sprockets. What? You don't? MTFU, Bikeradar commuting forum! :twisted:

That's because you have a compact. Essential kit for the hors categorie climb up Piccadilly.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    biondino wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

What's a 12 or 13 sprocket? :wink:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos