Felt Z35 vs Z70 ?

markybhoy67
markybhoy67 Posts: 346
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Sorry people another what bike thread.

I currently commute to work on a ridgeback nemesis and I have now been bitten by the bug that says get a faster bike :lol:

I am looking at the two bike mentioned above as a weekend bike and possibly joining my local bike club for 50 mile + weekend runs.

I have selected these two bike due to the relaxed geometry position.

I have never owned a road bike before but I have had a sit on the Z35 and it FELT :cry::D a little bit awkward but I suppose you get used to this riding position, also the bike weight WOW compared to my nemesis sooooo light.

The reason for the Z70 and not the Z65 is that I think the 70 looks nicer as I have seen it in the flesh although never got to sit on it and also that I am not too keen on the colour red.

So finally my question really is, is it worth paying the extra dough for the Z35 for what you get over the Z70 for just weekend rides, I will not be doing any racing purely long club runs for fitness.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I guess it depends on the price difference and what you can afford- from memory, the major differences are that the Z70 has an Alu frame whilst the Z35 is carbon and the Z70 is a triple ring whilst the Z35 is a double. Other than that, I think the spec is pretty similar with the Z35 having a few upgrades which are more to show off the name of the groupset than having anything to do with actual function. There's no doubt that the Z35 is the better bike though and the 08 model got great reviews.

Whilst I think carbon is lovely and looks fantastic, I would actually recommend going for the Z70. Carbon needs a bit more TLC than Aluminium and if you're just starting out, then you may well find the triple ring a help on the hills. It's much cheaper to change from a triple set up to double down the line rather than the other way round. With the money you save, you could then kit yourself out with some decent shoes/pedals/clothes etc.

Whichever you go for, Felt are a good choice and great value for money - I've had an F65 for a few years now and love it.
  • Damn impulse buying :D

Just bought the Z35 for £950, I hope this is value for money.

Would still appreciate any comments please tell me that I have bought the right bike :shock:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Horton
    Top effort! You won't regret it. Good price too.
  • Horton wrote:
    I guess it depends on the price difference and what you can afford- from memory, the major differences are that the Z70 has an Alu frame whilst the Z35 is carbon and the Z70 is a triple ring whilst the Z35 is a double. Other than that, I think the spec is pretty similar with the Z35 having a few upgrades which are more to show off the name of the groupset than having anything to do with actual function. There's no doubt that the Z35 is the better bike though and the 08 model got great reviews.

Whilst I think carbon is lovely and looks fantastic, I would actually recommend going for the Z70. Carbon needs a bit more TLC than Aluminium and if you're just starting out, then you may well find the triple ring a help on the hills. It's much cheaper to change from a triple set up to double down the line rather than the other way round. With the money you save, you could then kit yourself out with some decent shoes/pedals/clothes etc.

Whichever you go for, Felt are a good choice and great value for money - I've had an F65 for a few years now and love it.

Thanks very much for the reply Horton

I have all the gear for cycling as my credit card statements will testify :( also have to hide these from the wife :D

I have been agonising between these bikes for last few weeks but I managed to haggle with the guy in the lbs and he brought it down from £1100 to £950 so this just seemed like a billy bargain.

Please tell me this is value for money :D

Edit, this is the 2008 model
  • Horton
    I did exactly the same when I got my F65 - spent ages umming and ahhing (a few ooos in there as well) and then just said sod it, asked if he could knock 10% off and 5 minutes later I was a grand lighter too. :D

Just had a quick look at the specs and that is really good value for money. As for telling the wife, adopt my line, tell her how much you saved rather than how much you spent... Now go out an enjoy it!
  • Horton wrote:
    I did exactly the same when I got my F65 - spent ages umming and ahhing (a few ooos in there as well) and then just said sod it, asked if he could knock 10% off and 5 minutes later I was a grand lighter too. :D

Just had a quick look at the specs and that is really good value for money. As for telling the wife, adopt my line, tell her how much you saved rather than how much you spent... Now go out an enjoy it!

Horton, thanks very much for the reply, that is exactly the response the I was hoping for :lol: 8)

When I went into the shop last week the sales assistant would only knock £50 quid off. I just thought that I would try again today and spoke to the manager and pleaded my case for £950 and got a result :P

I have just phoned and told her that the bike was £700 I was going to tell a bigger lie and say £600 but I don't think she would believe that and she knows nothing about bikes!!!

She has now just put a guilt trip on me about me buying two bikes in a year so she has just managed to squeeze a new kitchen, which granted does need updating :cry:

Oh well everyone is now happy in the markybhoy household :D

Will post some pics when I pick it up
  • Horton
    A new kitchen you say... Perfect, your wife will be able to cook you lovely meals for when you come back from your rides :wink::wink:
  • Well I'm jealous. Nice choice.
    Rides a Cannondale Synapse 105.
  • Horton wrote:
    A new kitchen you say... Perfect, your wife will be able to cook you lovely meals for when you come back from your rides :wink::wink:

Too be fair to her she does this already 8)

I have decided to go and pick it up tomorrow and I am thinking about going out with the cycling club on saturday but I am unsure incase I get blown away as I usually just do a 20 mile round commute with the occasional long run at the weekend along canal paths :?
  • 2Fast4Love wrote:
    Well I'm jealous. Nice choice.

Cheers 2Fast4Love

I will give an update once I have taken it on a long run although I would imagine that it will be faster and better going uphill than my current hybrid :lol:
  • Me very happy :D

1001950fi4.th.jpg

My new bike next to my trusty commuter.

I haven't been out on it yet so nothing to report here yet but will get out at the weekend.

Excuse the photo as I had to take the picture in my shed as it is bucketing down and didn't want to get my new toy wet :P

Will post a pic of the new kitchen in time :lol::lol::lol:
  • Horton
    V nice... Lose that excess weight of the reflector mind :wink:
  • Horton wrote:
    V nice... Lose that excess weight of the reflector mind :wink:

LOL, it weighs next to nothing as it is.

Canny wait to get out on it at the weekend, I am even contemplating not having a drink tomorrow night :shock:

Well maybe just a couple :lol: