Rugby Body Protection

BlackSpur
BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
edited November 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I remember a few guys on here saying they played rugby, so I'm after some reccomendations for upper body pads! I tend to feel a bit battered and bruised all over even after training and I thought pads would go some way to reduce this. I'm a forward if this makes any diference...
"Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Must be the wrong code.

we never wore any pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BlackSpur
    'Aye, but I'm a soft southerner!

We wear lycra too :wink:
  • Man the fuck up.
  • BlackSpur
    I don't mind getting smashed to bits, but I play 2 other sports so ot's not ideal if I'm battered after a match with water polo training the next day and work the day after.
  • Gilbert do some nice stuff IIRC - been a while since I played, but it's what I used to use...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • i had 2 diferent sets of pads...the ones to go for are the honeycomb style pads...
    ie. not just one pad of solid foam, there are lots of tiny hexagon pads on the shoulders, they give freedom of movement with good padding.

i had my gibert set for about 3 years before i bought another set, but i didn't like the new set so used the gilberts for another 3 :D

all i'd say is make sure theyre tight fitting, DONT get a round neck one..must be a V, the round ones itch like hell and aggrivate your neck, and only ever hand wash if you get honeycomb ones, otherwise the padding will break up.

http://www.gilbertrugby.com/product.asp ... 39&PID=286 this seems to be the new style from gilbert, i'd def go for some of those.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Our physio reckons shoulder pads cause more injuries than they save. They give you a feeling of security encouraging players to take the hit or go flying in with the shoulder when they should have gone in properly for the waist.

As for scrum caps all they do is invite some sneaky prop to accidentaly drop a boot on your nut.

If Mungo is reading this sorry mate couldnt resist it you were just begging for it with that new Canterbury scrumcap never mind chicks dig scars :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BlackSpur
    Hehe already got a myself a scrumcap, mainly to stop the terrible cheek-on-cheek chafage that comes when in the scrum playing 2nd row! I don;t think pads would change how I play, just help me feel a bit better after a match.
    Liking the look of this - like the Gilbert above but with sternum and bicep pads
    http://www.barringtonsports.com/rugby/product_Gilbert_Xact_Alpha_Quest_Body_Armour_2008.htm

Looks like I may be asking for some for christmas!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Going to be watching the big game tommorow with my hands over my eyes

Please God it cant be any worse than last week Can it? :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Oh no it could be our only chance hire a sniper to take out Richie Macaw during the Haka
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • BlackSpur
    I shall be at work, safely away from all of the losing and misery - can't work out if it's a good thing or a bad thing.