Gearing

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
edited December 2008 in Track
im going to buy a track bike soon, but i was wondering what gearing to go for???

i was thinking 49 - 15 or something like that?

also, what length cranks should i use if i use 172.5 on the road?

thanks
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Gearing depends on the track but for racing on a large outdoor track, a 90" gear (50x15) is typical.

Smaller indoor tracks (Manchester / Newport) need slightly lower gearing around the mid 80's, and Calshot is lower still I think around 82".

I ride 170mm track cranks and 175mm road cranks.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I ride 50x15 most of the time at Herne Hill. I run 165 mm cranks and have never noticed any difference between them and my road bike cranks, which are 172.5 mm.
  • fnb1
    fnb1 Posts: 591
    Unless you are going to ride on the boards there is little concern about crank length. The banking on outdoor tracks will give you no issues.
    fay ce que voudres
  • 48/18 is nice for a commute and skid stop with ease.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    You will need between 165 and 170mm cranks at Manchester Velodrome to avoid grounding (I assume you're intending to ride at Manchester velodrome?). You will need a 90 inch gear for derny and sprint training (I think it is something to do with getting better traction on the banking when the gear is larger and you are pressing more) but something around 84/85/86 will be fine for SQT sessions. I was actually fine behind the derny on the hire bike, all of which have an 84 inch gear, but I was told by the coaches that I should get a 90 inch gear on my own bike for the derny and sprint sessions. If you are not yet accredited and intend to do the accreditation on your own bike you may as well fit an 84-86 inch gear so that you will be pedalling at about the same rate as everyone else on the hire bikes - it makes things easier at that stage if everyone has roughly the same size gear. If in any doubt, ring up and ask, or check the velodrome website for the bike spec information.