The usual: Giant Scr 1 or Felt Z70?

meesteryan
meesteryan Posts: 2
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

Going for my first road bike and the usual question pops up: which one?

I do a 20 mile round trip daily commute (plus some weekend use and maybe eventually an odd sprint triathlon) and want to move from an old hardtail mtb to a road bike. I'm looking at spending up to £700.

Current available contenders are:
Giant SCR 1 2008
Felt Z70 2008
(possibly an ex-demo 2005 Giant TCR T-Mobile)

All have Shimano 105 (SCR on a double, TCR and Felt on a triple) and come in just under the £700 mark. I think the TCR might be a bit pricey given its age?

I'll go at the weekend to try out what I can but any comments/thoughts to bear in mind would be welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    meesteryan wrote:
    I'll go at the weekend to try out what I can
    This (test rides) should be the criterion for your decision once you've narrowed it down, not some web forum stranger's preference. Choose carefully and I'm sure you'll love it.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • [quote="Simon E not some web forum stranger's preference. Choose carefully and I'm sure you'll love it.[/quote]

i agree, however the felt looks nicer 8) imo
  • If your looking to use the bike for a commute - I'd strongly recommend the SCR 1. It has space and braze-ons for a rack and mudguards, which would be indispensable for me. Even if you don't want to use them immediately they will make the bike much more versatile and are easy enough to put on and

My girlfriend has a Giant SCR Limited and the frame is very well thought out.