Recommendations for a few weeks in France

58585 Posts: 207
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
Next summer I'm planning 3-4 weeks in france, probably during July. It's not going to be a cycling holiday as I'm going with the other half and our little one, but I'm hoping to get as much cycling in as possible. Anyone been in the same boat, and got any recommendations for good locations where I can get some quality riding but the family can entertain themselves?
I'm hoping to stay in the same accommodation for the whole holiday, so it would be good to find a base with a few big cols close enough for day trips.
Any ideas?

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Morzine in the northern French alps is good - lots of great riding but also a largish town with plenty to do. Sports centre has kids pools and Olympic sized pool, pony riding for virtually all ages, ropes courses. There are some marked walks by the river or there are the high mountains - depending on age of the little 58585.

Restuarants are plentiful - there is even a curry house. Locally Les Gets and Montriond have small man made swimming lakes.

Some of the chair lifts open - mainly used by downhill mtb loons but anyone can use then for a small fee and its great fun to go up and watch the descents - just wish I had the bottle of youth to give it a go.

On the road plenty of Cols locally and, if you are restricted for time, reachable by car for a quick hour of pain. Joux Plane, Joux Verte, Enrenaz, Ramaz, Colombiere among others. I spent two weeks there in 2007 and all my kids (15,12 and 9) want to go back in 2009.

Another great base in the northern alps is Annecy - some fantastic riding and the cycle route which follows the lake would be ideal for little people too. Loads of camp-sites, mainly at the Southern end of the lake all with good facilties. Some well known and some brilliant lesser known cols in the area - strongly recommed but it does get busy in July - particulalry as there is the TDF time trial on around the 23ish of July.

I've also bikes a lot in the Lot area of South West Frnace and it is perfect - very very quiet roads - one morning 3 hour ride and saw 11 cars. But the lack of tourist infrastructure may mean that Mrs and Little one are a little bored. Cols aren.t big - its more undulating but with some longish drags and fast descents - but watch out for the deer.

Wherever you go have a great time - just get up and out early!!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    +1 for Morzine and the Alps in Summer are very beautiful. Another favourite of mine near there is Le Grand Bornand, a smaller town but it has family amenities.

Otherwise, the Auvergne has some really challenging riding or you could think about the Bearn (down in the South West, near the Pyrenees).

What you absolutely MUST do in France, is to go out riding on a Sunday morning. I always negotiate this treat with famille pneumatique when we are there. Sunday is club run day and everyone is out on their bikes. It is really sociable and there are loads of other people to pace (and be dropped by!). If you get up early (7am), you'll be back by lunchtime.

Why don't you try and be somewhere near Le Tour when it passes through? A couple of years ago we took along six kids under 15, who were fairly agnostic about cycling, and they all said it was the best day of the whole holiday and keep asking to be taken again.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I have a personal preference for the Auvergne and the Beaujolais. Ambert is not bad as a base, lots of lesser known cols, nice roads and lots for the family to do (but it's grim if the bad weather sets in at the end of august; although in the same situation in the Alps it would be snow which is not a lot better).
    I would say that Limoges has everything you need but then its because that's where I live so I'm a bit biased.
    If you are looking for a decent club ride out the FFCT calendar is on line here
    http://www.ffct.org/pratiquer/cn_ran.htm

I am surprised and impressed it's the 2009 one (at least for the Limousins).
    For the sporting types the UFOLEP calendar is also available on line but I don't have a link.

Have a nice holiday wherever you go.
    Cheers Jo (Reveil Cyclotourist de Limoges)