back ache

jonboy22
jonboy22 Posts: 47
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
hi just after a bit of advice .Ive got some pain in my lower back after doing 400 mile over the last cple of months on my first time road bike. A fellow cyclist told me (after riding behind me) that my seat was too high and I was rocking as i was pedaling .Since then Ive put my seat to the correct height but the back pain is still there. Has anyone had similar experiences and what did You do any help appreciated thanks :?

Comments

• fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    I can remember getting back pain when I got my first road bike but it decreased and eventually dissapeared through time.
    The position your body is in on the bike is new so expect some aches until your body gets more comfortable with it
    exercise.png
  • I suffer from very bad back pains. They worsened greatly after I did Lands End to John O'Groats. Don't risk it. Go and see an ostiopath, or a chiropractor. Its more than likely musclar, but best be on the safe side. You might well have a misaligned spine.

Phil
    Giant SCR, BRIGHT Orange.
  • i get back aches afer i've been going for 2 and a 1/2 hours, and i find it doesn't occur as seveerly when i sit up every 15 minutes,

oh and fto-si, how tall are you?
  • if you dont mind me asking?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Some stretching exercises will sort this - do a search stretches for cyclists - or core stability stuff. I know it sounds to simple but it worked for me.
  • I fitted a shorter stem - 100 to 90 made a lot of difference, and I now do pilates which is good for core strength, and I stretch after every ride.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    jimycooper wrote:
    i get back aches afer i've been going for 2 and a 1/2 hours, and i find it doesn't occur as seveerly when i sit up every 15 minutes,

oh and fto-si, how tall are you?

I am 5ft 6
    exercise.png
  • i was looking at your loverly bikes, and noticed the frames were small and the saddles are fairly low. Sorry completely off topic i know but i coulndt not find out. ( im one off those people who when they wonder they have to know.)
  • thanks for advice gonna try some stretching post rides also at the docs on fri to see what he thinks cheers