one mud tyre. front or rear?

johnnypipe85
johnnypipe85 Posts: 145
edited November 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,
I have a whole of £20 to splash out on ONE mud tyre( will ask for the other one for xmas)
and would like to know which you would recommend and wether I should put it on the front or rear until I get the second one. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Jon

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Try both, and see what works best?
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    For me it's the rear, I have more trouble spinning out in the mud than sliding.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    stumpyjon wrote:
    For me it's the rear, I have more trouble spinning out in the mud than sliding.

But on the other hand is it not better to have more grip up front? At least that way you've less chance of a front wheel slide going on.

As Ratty suggested, if you can only get one, try it at both ends and see which works best.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go with the rear if you only have one. Thats giving you the propulsion thru the sticky stuff.
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Depends on the style of riding that you will be doing. But you can never have too much grip upfront.
  • Front, I like to be able to corner and stop.

You can get away with losing rear-wheel traction far more than losing the front, because lets face it, if you're coming down a hill you're not going to lose the back end through pedalling, but the front will slide out and you will come off. The back end will just slide through corners, which is cool.

As for the tyre, what sort of mud?

Bonty mudX, trailrakers, nobby nics it's a longish list...
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Put it on the front - if you ride quick enough it will clear a path for the rear. Alternatively, think tractor :wink:
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Front. To paraphrase Sheldon Brown: a loss of grip on the rear means you may have to get off and walk; a loss of grip on the front usually ends with a crash.
  • dave_hill
    Bonty mudX, trailrakers, nobby nics it's a longish list...

Maxxis Swampthing, Maxxis Medusa, Hutchinson Toro, see if you can find some Onza Porcupines on Fleabay, best mud tyres ever bar none.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    In fact, check out Ebay item number 350129051657 - two folding Porcs for £13.99 plus carriage!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • mumBLE5
    mumBLE5 Posts: 153
    I would go with front. The rear only really follows and I would rather drag the rear and steer the front rather than let the front be pushed out the way because it’s on a slick...

That’s the way I have and most have there bmx if they using it for dirt jumps/trails riding..

Obviously on a mtb both is always best. :D

Give it a go either way and see which hurts more...
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited November 2008
    I'd go with rear, personally- I totally get the arguments for front but with mud, I run out of traction from the rear first, without exception. But it'd depend a lot on the riding you do and where you do it. On the routes I ride, mud is a problem uphill and on the flat, not down. YMMV.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Front
    I hate losing the front wheel in mud. Losing the rear is slightly more predictable.
    If you are losing grip on the rear, shift your weight more rearwards.
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Basically, you want more grip on the rear in technical climbs mainly, you then want more grip when descending on the front. Ideally then you have good grip front and rear.

But forced to choose, ask yourself, which of the above do you enjoy and do more and also which of the above you'd rather have more grip doing.

Me, front wheel grip thanks, as Sheldon says, lack of rear means walking, lack of front means pain.
  • stick it on the back and wheelie everywhere :wink:

A fat rear tyre with a skinny front tyre also looks very odd.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • I'm thinking about the same sort of stuff with bonty mud-x and hutchinson toro.
    one of each or two toro's?
    get the grip and "cheapness" of the mud-x but front or back?
    get the better rolling of the toro's for when i ride (possibly wet) tarmac and only slightly muddy trails?

its hard work deciding on things like this!
  • the best thing to do is have a huge shed full of tyres, this isn't feasible for everyone, and not everyone are rubber-freaks...

but then you can vary the rubber according to the conditions, I currently have two trailrakers, a rampage and two razer MX on my shelf. With those I can cover most of the conditions that i meet and not loose too much speed.

BUT ALWAYS MORE GRIP ON THE FRONT.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Front
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Rear.

You can't crash if you aren't moving.
  • Rear.
    that was the approach i was going to take for mud riding.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Rear.

You can't move if you're crashing - besides you average allrounder nobby tyre will offer some rear wheel traction in even the worst mud - just need good pedalling technique to keep it smooth.

Hell, I've got a high roller on the back still!!