Ireland end-to-end

aztecboy
aztecboy Posts: 384
edited December 2008 in Tour & expedition
In an attempt to satisfy my craving after a recently completed LeJog, I am now planning an Irish end to end for next May.
However apart from the CTC website, I can find very little resource on the route so far.
Do many cyclists attempt this one? I know that Ireland catches a great deal of rain but it looks ideal for cycling.
Has anyone done the trip or know of a decent resource to glean some tips?

Thanks
aztecboy

Comments

• chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Try a Google search on the terms Mizen Malin (Mizen Head to Malin Head) as I think that is what it is usually referred to as.

I read somewhere that May is the better time of year to cycle as drier then, but would personall prefer to do it in July/August when you'll have the daylight and the temperatures are at the warmest, and you would be able to get by with less rain gear with getting wet less of a problem (less life threatening)

It can rain at any time of year really, last summer was a particular washout (apparently, I only got drenched going to and from work a handful of times)
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Westernlakes CC are doing a Malin to Mizen Challenge next year aiming for the 370 mls in 20 hours

http://www.westernlakescc.com You can click on the map and it will give you the best route
    Go neiri on bothar leat.