me again! This time bottom bracket

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited December 2008 in The workshop
I have looked to see if there is already a workshop article about this but can't see one - or a thread.

My son's bike has wobbly pedals. Does that mean the BB is shot or does it just need tightening? How do I do either of these things?

I would look on the Parktools website but it frightens me :shock:
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Are the pedals (by which you mean the cranks, which attache the pedals to the axle, right?) tight? On my Focus the left crank arm keeps working loose giving a wobbly feel, and if I manipulate it by hand there is give in a side to side direction. So I loose the bolts, push it in as far as I can, tight up the outer bolt then the two bolts on the arm and it's okay (for a while).
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Though if you do actually mean pedals, the place they join the cranks is incredibly simple and you'd be able to tell visually if something were up.
  • Grab hold of one of the cranks (arm from pedal to axle) try to rock it at 90 degrees to the way it moves when pedalling. If it is loose the other one wont move. If the BB is shot you will see the axle move and the other crank will also move.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed