Bikely to BikeRadar migration issues.

rb1956
rb1956 Posts: 134
So... I've been migrated to BikeRadar from Bikely it seems. Having had a quick look round, I have some comments:
    The notification e-mails I received were sent out in a fancy format instead of plain text. My e-mail viewer (Gmail viewed with
Camino on my Mac) couldn't render it properly, and the garbled text was very hard to read. The link to a web-page was no help, because it wouldn't render properly in Camino. The page was just as garbled in Safari 3.1.2 (Safari is the standard Mac browser, so I would have expected the site authors to have tested with it), and in Firefox 3.0.3.

Kudos for having migrated my userID from Bikely to BikeRadar. I still had to create a "new" account on BikeRadar to connect to it, but that's reasonable enough. It would have been nice to receive instructions on the process, but maybe they're lost in the unreadable e-mails/web-pages above?

The BikeRadar website is quite nice, and certainly offers things that Bikely does not. Many pages do not quite render properly in Camino, Safari or Firefox on my Mac, but none so far has been unusable.
As an ex-Bikely refugee, my main interest is in recording and searching routes. The following comments relate specifically to that part of the site:
    From the
Routes & Riding page, there seems to be no "find my routes" button as there is at Bikely, and the search function does not allow search by userID. There is a userID search available in the database, but getting to it is a challenge. I found it by searching for one of my routes by destination, clicking on the userID link displayed with the route to display all my stored routes, and finally bookmarking the search URL. Kluge city! Please add a "find all my routes" function to the Routes & Riding page.

Kudos on migrating my routes to the new system. Or rather some of my routes. Only my "public" routes were migrated from Bikely. My private "work-in-progress" and testing routes were not. That's not a huge big deal, but it would be nice if it could be fixed.

The Routes & Riding page search criteria default to searching United Kingdom routes only. Since I live in Australia, I have to change it every time, since the search doesn't pick up my location from my user-profile. Bikely defaults to searching all routes in the database, which is more convenient. Would it be possible to change the BikeRadar search default to "All Countries", or to pick up the default from the searcher's user-profile?

I can't work out how to create, edit, upload, download etc. routes on the BikeRadar site. If I click on the link on the top right of a route page that seems to offer these features, it takes me to Bikely. What is the story here?
Greetings to all BikeRadar members, by the way. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• This post has got me worried also, I have not been migrated as yet however looking at the issues above I to have the same concerns.

1. How do you create, edit and upload routes here?
    2. Will the upload via .gpx files using my GPS be available here as it does over at Bikely?
    3. Ability to have routes under construction migrated and also having the function here. Our team uses a common account and we leave all our routes as "under construction" to avoid others discovering our secrets training locations. Will this type of make private function still be available here?

I am happy to get migrated but would hope that the same functions are made available here.
  • str
    str Posts: 2
    A couple of threads regarding this migration have been started on the Bikely site. One is at http://www.bikely.com/forum/discussion/ ... -bikeradar. But, in the interests of consolidating the discussion and, more importantly, getting responses from those responsible, I will copy my unresolved issues here.
    1. Will my old map links (which have been posted many places) continue to work?
      For example, will this link, http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/SC ... e-Seacliff, work in the future?

I found by doing a route search on BikeRadar the same route at http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... e-Seacliff. That's fine (except for the issues described below) for new links that I distribute, but I would very much like the bikely.com links to work indefinitely.
    2. I see no way to display the Cue Sheet (other than taking a "tour" and have each note displayed on the map when that point is encountered. I cannot accept this and will go elsewhere if it isn't fixed. (Our club uses printed copies of cue sheets extensively.)
    3. There seems to be no equivalent to "My Bikely" - for displaying my own routes and my favorites.
    One strong positive I see for this transition is that apparently Jeff Jones is the "editor" of BikeRadar. I'm fairly sure this is the same JJ that did such a great job at Cyclingnews - so I can reasonably hope for similar results at BikeRadar.
    • I can confirm that no user accounts have been migrated, the newsletter was the first in a series of communications from us about the upcoming migration of bikely into BikeRadar.

If you go to our current Routes & Riding section you will see that there are routes in there (these are pulled direct from Bikely) but it is not the integration that is mentioned in the newsletter.

If you wish to create a route or use other functionality you are diverted to Bikely.com which is a bad user experience hence the reason we have integrated the two sites.

We have conducted extensive testing and all of the features on the current Bikely site are included in this new integration.

Currently all routes on bikely are available on Bikeradar, once the migration has occurred then they will only be accessible via BikeRadar. The existing Bikely URL's will work as they will be redirected to BikeRadar.

If you have any concerns on this upcoming integration please do not hesitate to create a thread in the forum or add to this one and I will do my best to answer them.

str, you are right, Jeff Jones the editor here on BikeRadar is the same Jeff Jones from CyclingNews
    • mmd
      mmd Posts: 1
      I´m having the same problem. I can´t neither download or create routes.