Islabike Price Increase

eliphas_levi
eliphas_levi Posts: 25
edited December 2008 in Family & kids cycling forum
Went to buy two bikes from Islabikes: Rothan and Cnoc 16 having done some research for my two boys for Xmas. The eldest '3' rides a Specialized Hotrock 12 (no stablisers).

Noticed that this week they put the prices up on both £20 (Rothan now £112 including delivery and Cnoc 16 £162 including delivery). I phoned to ask if i could get them at last weeks prices and was told something like:

'No! Due to the £ vs $ we have no choice as our bikes are made in Asia and if we didnt put the prices up we'd be out of business soon.'

This has made me a little concerned about buying due to the clearly fragile nature of their business or is this something that is normal for all bike companies?

Does anyone think this is still good value for money or are there better bikes and deals from other companies? I mean goverment stats state that there are 3m more cyclist this year alone and halfords are to open 50 stores??

I have been looking at the LikeaBike Jumper as an alternative to the Rothan which costs £118 including delivery and weighs 3.2kg vs 4kg(rothan). The Cnoc is now more expensive than the Specialized Hotrock 16 but not sure what the differences are an if the premium is worth that!

Any advice on this would be great as i need to get something in before Xmas.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    All bike prices have gone up between 5 and 30%
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It's pretty normal and they are worth it. Quite a few people on the rides I go on have the Luath 700 as it's perfect for petite women as well as children.
    Genesis Vapour w/mudguards - FCN 6
  • nicklouse wrote:
    All bike prices have gone up between 5 and 30%

Crazy!!!!! Tech Gadgets, LCDs, PCs, Fuel Prices, Cars, Houses, Land and now even Taxes all go down in price but Bikes go up???

Still i need to choose something regardless
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    eliphas_levi
    they all went up about 3-6 months back, and basically the same spec bike for 2009 is more. if it is the same price it is down speced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just ordered a Luath 26 for my eldest son's 9th birthday (due to arrive tomorrow). They are not cheap but having had a good look around the market I'm happy they are value for money. We have a deal with our kids that they don't get any Nintendos, Wii, Xbox or the like, aren't allowed much TV but they will get other things, esp good quality bikes. Overall, I think both the kids and our bank balance are healthier.

As regards the exchange rate, I can't see it as a cause for concern. Rates have moved dramatically and companies can't absorb the cost and stay profitable. Isla bikes is not immune to that and I doubt have the scale to make it worth hedging forward.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    If Islabikes sold in their millions, the price would come down.

If the technology involved in bikes changed at the same rate that computing tech has, the price would come down.

But bike tubes still have to be welded/brazed and there are as many joints as in a comparable adult's bike, wheels still have to be spoked and built with as many spokes as an adult's bike and special sizes for each age/size group of kids have to be manufactured.

The £ has fallen against the $ (which, internationally, bikes are priced in) from about £100:$2.20 to £1.00:$1:77

And so it goes
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Ok i have gone and got the CNOC16... I have to say i am impressed with the service and the quality of the product.

I also bought a Likeabike Jumper which just looks great. The quality is there too.

The CNOC16 does feel quite heavy for such a small bike, and this is apparently lighter than the competition. But i have to say the styling is far and above the rest of the market.

Cant wait till they open it on Christmas Day.
  • Ok i have gone and got the CNOC16... I have to say i am impressed with the service and the quality of the product.

I also bought a Likeabike Jumper which just looks great. The quality is there too.

The CNOC16 does feel quite heavy for such a small bike, and this is apparently lighter than the competition. But i have to say the styling is far and above the rest of the market.

Cant wait till they open it on Christmas Day.