Cyclo-cross AND road bike in one?

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Greetings,

This is my first post here after a bit of lurking.

I'm an off-roader, basically but am being tempted to try some road stuff so that I can join in the fun at some of the less challenging etape with some friends. I am also keen on getting a cyclo-cross bike with a view to compete next winter, after having competed this year on my MTB.

I am thinking of buying a cyclo-cross bike but having an extra pair of wheels / cassette suitable for road work, so that I can switch them as required. I have had conflicting advice - the cyclo-crossers seem to think that this is quite possible and a sensible start, but roaders seem to be a lot more sceptical.

What do you think - can it be done - spend a grand on one bike which can be used for cross in the winter; road in the summer.....? (Or should I buy two cheapies)

Cheers!

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'd be inclined to simply change the tyres. I'd imagine that the wear on the cassette and chain when CXing would be greater than the on-road one. Could this not cause problems with the worn chain meshing with the on-road cassette? Otherwise, I would be wanting to swap the cassette onto the other wheels.

There'll probably be someone more knowledgeable along shortly.

Welcome to the forum neil²
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I used to do this on a mountain bike with no problems, so I can't see it being a biggie on a cross bike.

It's possible, if you used the bike in one mode for a long time, that the chain and cassette would wear to the point where the chain no longer fitted the other cassette.

That would be nature's way of telling that you needed to buy a new chain (and replace the worn cassette).

In practice, though, you'll have the set-up in the low-wear, road mode a lot more than in the high-wear off-road mode and I suspect it'll all come out about even.

I may of course be testiculating wildly here.
    John Stevenson
  • johans
    johans Posts: 24
    Check out the Specialized Tricross:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... p-08-29161

With the 32C tyres it is slower than a pure road bike but it is also a lot more versatile and fun.

My MTB gets a lot less ride time since I bought the Tricross.
  • The Tricross is a fantastic bike for the price, or you could have a look at the Kinesis Crosslight 4T. I was tempted on buying one, as an all rounder it looks superb. I have the Kinesis Racelight T road bike, the frame and ride quality is fantastic.

I have a Trek XO2 Cyclocross bike that I use off road when I ride with my wife (not had the balls to race it yet), after using it I'm sure I'll not buy another mountain bike!!!!!
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Thanks,

I hadn't picked up on the Specialized and so will give it a look.

No-one seems to be trying to talk me out of it and so perhaps it's a goer.

Cheers!
  • Crapaud
    ... In practice, though, you'll have the set-up in the low-wear, road mode a lot more than in the high-wear off-road mode and I suspect it'll all come out about even. ...
    That was kind of my point (badly put, maybe) - uneven wear. I am, of course, speculating (and not :lol: testiculating :lol: )
    johans wrote:
    With the 32C tyres it is slower than a pure road bike but it is also a lot more versatile and fun.
    I'm fairly sure that I read a post recently that they'll take 28mm's. It's 28mm tyres I've got on my bike - good for endurance / distance rides - nice and comfy and not too sedentary.

If you go for the 2 wheel idea let us know how you get on, Neil. I'd be interested to know as I've been considering doing something similar.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    A good cross bike will do what you want OK. It will not be as lively to ride as a pure road bike. I am riding the single speed version of the Tricross on the road as a fixed wheel bike and it is very good. It takes 25mm tyres fine, I would not go narrower on these rims. The bike handles and climbs well and is more stable than my road bikes, which suits me on fixed.
    You should not have any problems using 2 sets of wheels if you want to. I have been using different wheels on my bikes for years and have not had any trouble. Just don't let the chain get too worn.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    Crapaud wrote:
    ... In practice, though, you'll have the set-up in the low-wear, road mode a lot more than in the high-wear off-road mode and I suspect it'll all come out about even. ...
    That was kind of my point (badly put, maybe) - uneven wear. I am, of course, speculating (and not :lol: testiculating :lol: )
    johans wrote:
    I'm fairly sure that I read a post recently that they'll take 28mm's. It's 28mm tyres I've got on my bike - good for endurance / distance rides - nice and comfy and not too sedentary.

If you go for the 2 wheel idea let us know how you get on, Neil. I'd be interested to know as I've been considering doing something similar.

Do you feel swapping from the 32 to 28s has made a big difference to speed?
  • Crapaud
    bluecow wrote:
    Do you feel swapping from the 32 to 28s has made a big difference to speed?
    I've never had 32s on the bike. My old Ridgeback had 28s and I changed to 25s and there was a very noticeable difference; the 28s'll be lighter than the 32s, so there should be a marked improvement. 28s are a good compromise between speed and comfort on tarmac.

I read in another post, today, that the Tricross'll take 25mm tyres (depending on the rim size, of course).
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    Ive got a tricross spert as my first road bike in 20 yrs.. Dont wory about the gearing its plenty low enough for those steep bits and high enough to pedal at 38 mph easily(down hill only for me)...its not the lightest bike though but I liked it so I bought it. Ive now got the road bug so will get a pure road bike next.. My tricross is being used for the daily commute and for pleasure cycling so wanted some thing that can take the knocks/panniers/potholes that road bike may not survive. The trek looks nice but Ive no idea what makes a good bike other than do i like it...
  • johans
    Tricross - yeah the gearing on the 2008 Comp is actually really nice since it is 48/34T chainrings and 11-28T (SRAM OG1070 cassette).

I think for 2009 bikes they are specing 12-27T Shimano cassette which is probably fine - I never really use the 11 or 28 but it is nice to know they are there - the 28T more so if I hit a serious uphill or the wall!

I'd really encourage you to take it for a ride. A friend bought a double comp and biked from Switzerland to Turkey with full load using the standard Borough CX tyres, no problems on some pretty bad dirt roads and tracks. I do think fatter tyres would have been better. The frame should take up to 45 (maybe 48) c tires - a lot of clearance there.

For my riding I have found the Brough CX tyres really nice. I also find it hard to get excited about a mountain bike since getting the Tricross.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    neil x neil,
    I bought a Tricross 2 years ago when I first got interested in cycling using exactly the same thinking as you - and yes - it will do exactly as you require :):)

Initially, I rode mine all on-road and it is a very capable bike. With my lack of fitness and excess ballast it certainly wasn't the bike holding me back :oops:

As someone else has said, it will take 25C tyres - but these are the minimum. The 32C Boroughs are OK but are not as fast as the thinner tyres. They are also "noisy". When I first used the bike, the guy I ride with kept having to look over his shoulder as he kept thinking a car was approaching because of the tyre roar.

This year I have also started doing cyclo cross races and the Tricross is performing very well - even if the rider isn't. It has now got Michelin Mud 2 CX tyres (30C) on it and all the bottle cages etc have been removed and it is great. I also see a couple of other people riding them as well.

I would warn you though that if the road bug bites you like it did me, then you will probably end up buying a proper road bike as well - I did :shock: :shock:
    I have now also got a full carbon mid range road bike - and yes it is lighter - but only by about 2 1/2 lbs - and yes it is more lively and faster - but not by as much as you might think. One of the biggest differences is that the brakes are so much better.

Go for it!!

Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Brakes do seem to be a problem with cross bikes. Froglegs are popular as an upgrade. Tektro also do a set with wider set arms that got a good write-up in the CTC magazine.
    My Singlecross has V brakes which are very good but do not work with STIs unless you use a Travel Agent to modify the cable pull.
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    You will be fine. I bought the wrong cross bike (Tricross SPORT - heavy :() and even that with a pait of Xero Lite XR1s (cheap+light wheels) with some slicks I can easily keep up with the roadies on club rides.

With a lighter cross bike it would be even easier. Depending on the brakes/rims on the two wheelsets you will likely find you need to adjust the brakes each time you swap out the wheels. In fact I would recommend keeping two sets of pads, one for road and one for cross. Reason being the pads would wear at slightly different angles meaning a loss of power on your least-used rims (unless they are the same make/model of rims of course).

I think a crosser would be more comfy for long training rides due to the geometry but I could be wrong.
  • johans
    Brakes - I posted over on the BikeRadar review some time back on the Tricross brakes. As the BikeRadar review found the Avid Shorty 4's (old version - they have been redesigned for 2009) were hopeless.

I switched to Shimano BR550s that were on previous years Tricross and they are great - plenty of power, no squeaking.

The Tricross bikes now all come with Tektro v-brakes, shorter arms so they are compatible with raod brake levers. I have heard they are OK, but also seen riders with high-end Tricross models using BR550s.

BR550s are not expensive, have a quality finish and work really well so I highly recommend them.

I also changed the seat on my Comp Tricross to a Specialized Phemon - more comfortable than a road perch but not deeply padded like the Rival SL that comes on the Comp.
  • anyone out there got any experience/opinions on the Genesis Vapour, also what size should i go for, i'm 6'3", 34.5 inside leg.thanks.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Bought a Kinisis Crosslight 4T with alloy forks about a month back for winter use. Using some 5 year old Shimano wheels for road and the wheels from the 4T as cross wheels. Swapping the cassette as necessary, its not hard or expensive to do. Absolutely love it. Its forgiving for long winter road miles and stable and reactive enough for a beginner doing cross. Highly recommended. Go for the Crosslight Pro5 with carbon forks though if you don't need mudguards and have a few more quid to spend.

For Geoffwetagain, I am the same height as you and I went for a 60cm frame. Most of the things I have read about cross say buy a slightly smaller frame than you would on the road. I decided to go with my normal road size. If you wanted the Genesis for cross then maybe a 59 or a 58, but if you are buying from your local IBD then they should be able to give you decent advice.