'It rolls well'

This comment crops up a lot in tyre reviews - to be fair not just in this website or your mags. In the recent light touring tyre reviews on your home page it was frequently used.

Why am I bothering to type this? Well its just a completely meaningless term isn't it? Everything round 'rolls well' so you could just as well say every tyre in the test 'rolled well' apart from the square tyre which didn't 'roll well' and the diamond shaped tyre which 'rolled well in comparison with the square tyre but not as well as the round tyre, which ROLLED WELL'.

Maybe the bikeradar boffins can devise a simple test using the same wheels and a dyno and measure how much wattage is needed to get the bike to say 15mph - then we might have a quanifiable measure of if a tyre actually ROLLS WELL or not.

Do you catch my drift?
\'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is of course in context of round tyres, and comparing to others ie a mud tyre isn't going to 'roll' as well' as slick on tarmac. Yes, it is a subjective term and purely comes down to the testers fell of what is going on - same as many other things as well. I guess it could be measured, and have certainly seen it done before!