Night Riding buddies wanted for Bracknell forest.

ssparkes
ssparkes Posts: 9
edited March 2009 in MTB rides
Hi,

I've got me some proper night lights, I can actually see where I'm going. I got myself a Hope 4 and an exposure helmet light and they really work. Proper night riding is now really doable.

If your looking for a night riding Buddie and interested in riding over Bracknell forest single track in the evenings let me know.

I can also be found on facebook. search for Team Chu-Nder in groups. or try our web page www.teamchu-nder.com.

Steve

Don't let the dark nights get the better of you..
Steve Sparkes
http://www.stevesparkes.co.uk/index.html

Comments

• If you're in Farnborough why not join us one Tuesday / Thurs eve?

www.tunnelhilltrolls.co.uk

Mike
  • Where do you meet, What time.

Thanks for the invite
    Steve Sparkes
    http://www.stevesparkes.co.uk/index.html
  • Hey guys, I'm from Farnborough too and always up for a ride. I've signed up on tunnel hill trolls site, although the team chunder site doesn't seem to work!? Let me know when you guys are going out next.
  • Hi - you missed a rather wet and cold ride today but hey, I feel soooo much better for doing it :roll:

You'll see hte next rides posted up on the tht site probably later this eve when we've thawed out a bit.

Mike
  • Hi I'm new to this site.

I've joined as I have commtied myself to EXERCISE lol

I thought bike rides would be a good social thing to do and you can do it with friends and family too which is fun :D

Would anybody be able to Recommend a bike that would be good for this particular reason?

Thanks,

Elisha
    bracknell jobs aren’t without aggravations ”
  • Hi Elisha

If you're new to cycling I would try and borrow a bike to see how committed you are longer term. If you are going to buy then you need to decide what you want.

If you intend mainly canal towpaths and fireroads then a bike with front suspension and v-brakes would suit. If you want to do more technical stuff then you are probably looking at spending upwards of £350 for a bike with better forks and disc brakes.

I would visit a local bike shop in your area and see what they suggest. If you're in Bracknell then Mountain Trax (http://www.mountain-trax.com/) is perhaps a bit top end but http://www.berkshirebikes.com/ may also be worth a visit.

They appear to be Specialized dealers which is a good brand.

I started with a £99 special for a year and gradually moved up the scale as I got fitter and better. With all the gear it can be quite and investment - helmet, shoes, clothes - so start small.

Personally, it has been one of the best things I ever did.

Hope it helps

Mike
  • If I could be surrounded by bright 'big lumens' lights and if it weren't too fast, I could do the Bracknell thing - I've always wondered what it would be like in the dark. :oops:
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply it is much appreciated.

My boyfriend has a bike in the garage so I'll start with using his- I have no idea what kind it is its just a bike to me lol.

However I do intend to buy one eventually, I'm glad you've mentioned its one of the best things you have done as I'm really quite looking forward to it!

Me and a few girl friends (the ones that have stupidly agreed) are off out for a cycle Sunday. We've all put a bet down on how long it will take us before we stop off at a pub :lol:

So how many times a week do you cycle Mike and where abounce do you go?

Elisha
  • reluctant
    reluctant Posts: 600
    edited June 2011
    Fit is the most important thing when choosing a new bike.
  • Hi Giles,

Thanks for that!

Waow I have no idea what bikes they are but I'll be sure to look into that!!

I firstly need to know what type of bike i need lol or would like...

Any Recommendations Giles?

Elisha
  • You'd need to think about what your intended use is. You mentioned riding for fitness and with friends and family. Are you planning mainly road or mainly off-road? Maybe half and half. You need to balance your choice towards your predominant use. Think a bit about how much you'd want to spend too. You can buy good useable bikes from around £250-£300, which will give good service life too - but as with all things, if you spend extra, you'll get higher quality. Nicer to ride, lighter and more durable.
    Have a little think and get in touch if you like. G.
  • Elisha

I ride at least twice a week for upwards of 2 hours per ride but if you are looking to get fit then 3 or 4 shorter rides would probably do you more good.

In view of the potential outlay I really would recommend using your boyfriends bike for a few months until you find out what type of riding you want to do.

In fact, if you use an old, heavy bike it (as long as it is safe and in good working order) it will help you get fitter quicker and probably become a better rider. It will also mean you know what you DON't want when you do come to buy your own.

As Giles says, there is a huge variety from out & out road bikes through tourers, hybrids (half tourer/half mountain) to extreme downhillers.

You should also take a look in the beginners forum where there is plenty of advice.

I'm definitely not trying to put you off, I think you should go for it - especially with the prospect of a wonderful dry, hot summer ahead :roll:

Mike
  • Is Bracknel forest the same as swinley?
  • Yes it is!
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited February 2009
    :lol: awesome!
    I'll hopefully be heading down Swinley in the next 3-4 weeks (uni work/weather/fitness permitting :lol:) if anyone is gonna be there?

just out of interest, what is there at swinley? would a ful face helmet be overkill?

B
  • Great Thanks Mike!

You've really been helpful!!

I'm absoloutley useless with forums so I never even noticed the beginners section,
    I'll be sure to use that though.

With my current time plan I wouldn't be able to fit in 3 times a week but I will definately look to be doing the rides about that many times a week.

Just a quick question - does any one go to the Look Out in Bracknell?

Elisha
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    Im over at swinley every other weekend for a blast, i know where a lot the of the trails are,got a good loop of about 12 miles,which incorperates most of them.i wear a met parachute so its not too overkill and still protects me chops lol.lot of fireroad for familly rides,some dh,freeride ditch,and tonnes of singletrak to get the legs burning.im going sunday if the weathers not shat. :D
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • stev68
    Sounds superb :)
    Def gotta get down there asap.
    Gotta get a few essays out the way and do some of my research project and i'll be tharr! :D
  • ElishaA
    ElishaA Posts: 13
    Hay Guys,

Just a quick update- me and some friends have gone for a ride twice a week for 2 weeks now this week will be our third.

After the first day my legs were killing!! But I'm gettin use to it now :D

Although they do ache still after a good ride.
  • i'm going this saturday with a mate..... we'll be the 2 looking completely lost :lol: