Just wanted to show you guy's something rare and beautiful

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited November 2008 in Road general
I wen to Core bike show and sitting in the £2000+ Messuew's was this beauty. Found the pic today so thought I'd share it. The computer refuses to show the pic, so check out the link...

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2719111/
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I wen to Core bike show and sitting in the £2000+ Messuew's was this beauty. Found the pic today so thought I'd share it. The computer refuses to show the pic, so check out the link...

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2719111/

:? :?

pbpic2719111.jpg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Can anyone explain the thinking behind having a huge chainring and a big sprocket when it would be possible to get the same gear ratio with a smaller chainring and a small sprocket?
  • yer weres the logic?
  • ColinJ wrote:
    Can anyone explain the thinking behind having a huge chainring and a big sprocket when it would be possible to get the same gear ratio with a smaller chainring and a small sprocket?

Yes, it does look odd, doesn't it.

I wonder if it was made that way to ensure more teeth engage with the chain giving more "oomph" or something ?

As you can see, I haven't a clue !
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Nope it's all about looks FG/SS love this stuff. I thought my 62/16T was extreme :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Rare no doubt. Beautiful? Not to my eyes! Verges on the plain ugly.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • an interesting ride imo
  • It could be suggested that the set-up reduces wear on the chainring and sprocket as each tooth engages less for any given road speed.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    It could be suggested that the set-up reduces wear on the chainring and sprocket as each tooth engages less for any given road speed.
    Go on then, suggest it - I dare you :wink: !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Probably built for motor-pacing - but Nik Bowdler would be proud! The argument about sprocket engagement is a bit spurious, with even a new chain you only get about 3-6 teeth of 'full' engagement
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    I can't find it at the mo, but I did find an old photo on the web a while ago that showed a bike with a ring even bigger than that. The radius of it was, if anything, greater than the length of the crank. From the clothing of the rider I'd guess the picture was taken in the 1920s. So there've been poseurs around for a long time.

Looking at the ring on this particular bike I would suspect it to be somewhat prone to flexing. Not a useful feature. Weight weenies would probably be apalled by the added weight.
  • To clue you guy's in, the front ring is 100t, the rear 32t. It was handmade in 1903 in Cambridge as a track bike, but was ridden round the town by the bloke who built it. It's obviously pretty unique. It's ugliness is it's beauty. The crazy gearing, the handlebars. Can you imagine a more crazy town bike? 8)

Oh, and I was told it wasn't for sale at any price. :cry:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One man's meat.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    I did wonder about the weight too. Interesting but not for me.