SPDs - Arnt they a suicide device?!

2»

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Daz555 wrote:
    Cliffs of Moher? If so, I've sat in that very spot. Very nice indeed!
    The very same The Cliffs of Moher
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    SPD's always seem to spark lively conversation :)

I guess it is purely personal preference whether or not you like them and get on with them. I can see the reason why some people, especially racers like them and get increased efficiency out of them. Personally I hate them, although I did try them 2 years ago and then locked my feet in them.... and just as I was reaching a bad uphill.... came to a gradual comical stop, then fell over into a verge, missing a large cowpat by just inchs!!!

There are some excellent platform pedals out there today, I swear by my DMR V8 pedals.

KK.
  • Try SPD's if someone you know has the same size shoes. As others have mentioned perservere (don't throw yourself onto highly technical routes) and build up your confidence in them.

They truly, are a great bit of kit, if you get them set up right, but they can knacker your knees, if you set them up incorrectly.
    Keep it British, keep it Orange!!!

Orange-04-master-logo2.jpg
  • I don't like them as they don't clip in securely enough, my feet were bouncing out of them today. There's no perceptible locking of the cleat into the pedal, just a gradual resistance so am not ever sure they are engaging properly. However, since I am a roadie then riding a bike unclipped just doesn't feel natural...
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I don't like them as they don't clip in securely enough, my feet were bouncing out of them today. There's no perceptible locking of the cleat into the pedal, just a gradual resistance so am not ever sure they are engaging properly. However, since I am a roadie then riding a bike unclipped just doesn't feel natural...

Sounds like yours weren't set up properly.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs