Places to riding easly accessable from Manchester by train?

Indigo Gorilla
Indigo Gorilla Posts: 189
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
He everyone, having had my last mountain bike stolen I've got a new one and have started riding again!!!

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good places to ride within say and hour or hour 1/2 by train from Manchester?

I already goto Delamere Forest but looking for a few other places to go to aswell.

Only problem is that I don't have a car so can only get to places on the train so the stations can only be a short ride away.

Dave

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    i went to cannock chase on the train - change at birmingham new street and then get on the train to either cannock or rugeley town (although i was coming from the south so you might not need to all the way down to birmingham).
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Todmorden. Gives you access to the west of Calderdale and the east of Rossendale. You can be climbing onto the hills in under 10 minutes, loads of bridleways and hills to get lost in.

You could ride to Lee Quarry mini trail centre in Bacup in under an hour.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Todmorden. Gives you access to the west of Calderdale and the east of Rossendale. You can be climbing onto the hills in under 10 minutes, loads of bridleways and hills to get lost in.

+1

Todmorden's on the main Manchester-Preston line, about 1/2 hour from Victoria.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Edale ??? dunno if it's a direct train??
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rhette
    rhette Posts: 1,248
    Yeah! Edale is direct from pcadilly or Oxford road. You can do some great rides straight from station :)