Which multi tool?

percusski
percusski Posts: 41
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
As the title says, what multi tool are people carrying out with them that does the job (or as many as are likely to arise) whilst not being too heavy?

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I still carry a Cool Tool but I haven't seen them available on sale for years.
  • Topeak Hexus ,formerly Hummer. Say na more
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    For touring I use the Topeak Alien II. It has just about every tool you might need, excellent quality.

alien%202.jpg

The one thing it lacks is pliers, so on a long tour I also take a Leatherman Wave (it was a present, had I been buying myself I would have looked for a lighter tool, but in the scheme of things it is a small proportion of my touring load). The pliers are essential if there are cable problems, or for repairs with zip ties.

When riding my fast road bike I use the Lezyne CRV 12 which was about the smallest tool with a chain splitter (which I consider essential). It fits in my tiny Scicon Phantom 230 seat pack with spare inner tube, patches, tyre levers, spare KMC chain link. Anything larger wouldn't fit. The tools are quite short, so not as easy to use as the Topeak, but perfectly functional. They also make the same model with stainless steel or carbon side plates for less weight, more bling. I went for cheap.

lezyne-CRV-12-med.jpg
  • i just make up my own kit for the things i need for my bike; it saves carrying loads of bits i don't need and the tools are not compromised by having to fit into a multitool, eg a single allen key is not likely to be compromised by the clutter of other bits getting in the way or be difficult to use properly
  • I have the Topeek Alien RX, which is the(cheaper) road verion of the Alien II which has everything needed and also the "Hans tool" which is basic but great!
    "If we all had hardtails we'd all go down the hill, just slower"
    Nick Larsen

Voodoo D-Jab Ti
    Boardman Road Team 09
    Boardman Urban Team 08
    Falcon 3 Speed
  • anything from Topeak, park tool crank brothers or Lezyne go for top of the range tool as it will have a chain tool etc meaning you dont have to arry excess rubbish spend about £20-30 it's worth it because you don't want to round off all your bolts at the side of the road because of a crap multi tool
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • Hey there,

I use a Probikekit multi tool...

t0040.jpg

It's pretty solid, and has everything that you'll need. For less than £8 you can't go wrong with it.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=t0040

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I have a Crank Brothers one. It's good and does the job when you are stranded at the side of the road.
  • alfablue wrote:
    When riding my fast road bike I use the Lezyne CRV 12 which was about the smallest tool with a chain splitter (which I consider essential).

Why is a chain link tool essential.

I've been riding for years and never felt the need to sit by the side of the road and split my chain. I understand if the chain breaks you may need it but I assume that you will needcarry a handful of spare links and pins too. I have never had a well maintained chain break while I am out.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • alfablue
    It doesn't happen often but I have had two chains break on the road, and when you are 20 miles away from civilisation in mid Wales, and possibly 50 miles away from a bike shop (that may not even be open) I DO consider it essential. I would have had some very bad days! My chains are well maintained. I take two spare pins and a KMC link - which are a tiny extra burden. I hope you continue with your excellent luck, maybe I am just unlucky!
  • alfablue wrote:
    It doesn't happen often but I have had two chains break on the road, and when you are 20 miles away from civilisation in mid Wales, and possibly 50 miles away from a bike shop (that may not even be open) I DO consider it essential. I would have had some very bad days! My chains are well maintained. I take two spare pins and a KMC link - which are a tiny extra burden. I hope you continue with your excellent luck, maybe I am just unlucky!

Maybe you are just pushing harder than I am!! :)

I only average around 120 miles per week as I don't commute on the bike but I have done over 1000 trouble free miles since August. I always have my mobile just in case I need a lift though!
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • alfablue
    I think it is to do with pushing harder, as it has happened when touring and doing big hills. I have also had several break when riding off-road, again hills being a feature.

For general road riding there is probably much less risk, but the Lezyne and the pins/links are small enough that it makes sense to take them. I am one of those people that likes to be prepared for all eventualities! (My girlfriend calls this OCD!). I fit everything in a tiny Scicon saddle bag,

phantom05.gif

just 230ml capacity, along with tyre levers, tube, patches, so it really isn't a problem. (Just a note in praise of Scicon, I wanted a second bracket for another bike, the guys in italy posted me one free of charge!).

On tour I take the heavier Topeak Alien and a variety of extra spares (had several breakdowns on tour, but have managed to fix most of them, except when my rear rim split).
  • Still using the trusty Cool Tool but do take a Gerber on tour for the pliers.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed