Carrying on with the list thing....

Gomez at Flanders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdT__i1rMW4&NR=1

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited November 2008
    Surely Swiss Schleck?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,801
    Surely Swiss Shleck?

+1
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Not that we saw it but Pereiro's tour crash sounded bad...

Have to say the flanders crash stuck in the memory when I saw it. Shows the real toll of one day races!

Schleck gets the points for most spectacular.

I'll carry on sitting on the fence *sighs*.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oooh yeah - Gomez' crash was a doozer !

Er what was the Scheck one ? I missed that ? And who was the Gerolesteiner who wrapped his CF bike round a lamp post ?

Oh and that crash on the hill that took Schumacher down was one of my faves - I knew there was something dodgy about him as soon as he won !
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    cougie wrote:
    Oooh yeah - Gomez' crash was a doozer !

Er what was the Scheck one ? I missed that ? And who was the Gerolesteiner who wrapped his CF bike round a lamp post ?

Oh and that crash on the hill that took Schumacher down was one of my faves - I knew there was something dodgy about him as soon as he won !

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t1-WSpiTFR0
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Velo Magazine had a stage by stage photo thing on Pererio's crash. That was horrific. I bet he wakes up every day and does a little dance for still being up and about. Either that or he believes he's immortal.

What I really like in the photos though is the geniune concern on Valverde's face as he stands over him, no hightailing it off down the mountain for him!

I can't remember who it was from Saunier Duval who took a corner too wide and ended up in a ditch bouncing off a rockface in Paris Nice.

The winner for me though, for pure spectacular crsah ack-chon has to be yer man from Barloworld plunging off the Bonette.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • barloworld boy going over the edge for me
    and the guy who hit a low sign in the tour and all you saw was 2 bits of carbon fibre flying through the air (i like crashes where people get up with a bit of gravel rash).
  • barloworld boy going over the edge for me
    and the guy who hit a low sign in the tour and all you saw was 2 bits of carbon fibre flying through the air (i like crashes where people get up with a bit of gravel rash).
  • I was watching telly with my Mum when the young fella (Agusteyn?) went off the edge of the Bonette and it brought new meaning to the Duffers phrase "Turn Granny to the wall!"

For ouch value, the reports of Pereiro's crash sound horrific, and I read the other day he has a tatoo above the scar of the day it happenend on.

Gomez should get a special commendation for his efforts as well.

Can't really think of many pile ups this year apart from at Paris Nice, and a couple of small ones from the start of the Giro
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    barloworld boy going over the edge for me

Those two made me laugh out loud - I'll laugh as long as the rider is OK :D

Pereiro's though.... nasty! I watched a video on YouTube of two touring cyclists going down the road he crashed on - it looked pretty hairy, wouldn't like to race down it, and certainly not overshoot any of the corners :shock:
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    My winner for the worst crash has to be Pereiro, especially since his fall was caused by some duntz braking too early in front of him.

The comic winner is Schleck in Switzerland, not for the crash itself, but for that utterly useless and panicky-looking leg out leading up to it. Had he kept cool and put weight on that outer foot while sticking out the inside knee and giving rear brake, he might well have made it around that bend. It would've been less comical had Schleck felt the full potential brunt of that epic fall, mind you.

A lifetime achievement award has to go to Gomez, who had two of the worst crashes of the year. Eyes forward!

Tough man award goes to Sorensen, who got up from an ungodly smack into a metal sign and ploughed on through the Tour.
  • drenkrom wrote:
    Tough man award goes to Sorensen, who got up from an ungodly smack into a metal sign and ploughed on through the Tour.

They should give an award like Rugby League's Man of Steel!
  • Is there a team in the pro peloton you can think of who would play the St. Helens role in this? IE One of their riders must win every year regardless.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ow ! Just seen that Schleck clip ! Ta for the link !