Wharncliffe

lexiekay
lexiekay Posts: 379
edited November 2008 in MTB rides
Hello,
I'm going to be up in sheffield in december and was thinking of riding at Wharncliffe - can anyone give me any tips or ideas where to start? are the trails marked? and how hard are they?

Comments

• Have a look in here Lexie for directions.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12591401

The trails can be as easy or hard as you make them, the above thread gives you directions to the car park, then you head off down to the right, but the woods aren't singed too cleverly, and after so many times of going we kind of made our own little route. There are lots of climbs, there is lots of mud so hopefully it'll be cold and the ground might be hard for you! There are lots of boulders/rocks, and some of the trails are tricky. Then there are the DH bits, these are on the far side of the hill and some are mint!

The whole place is linked together by fire roads, so I'd suggest if its your first time, use these to your advantage to get you around the forest, and you'll see the trails off the fire roads to go and have some fun on!

There are some killer singletrack bits right at the top of the woods as well.
    If you have a mud specific set of tyres, put them on before you go, you'll need them!
  • lexiekay
    Great, thanks!

Sounds like it's definitely worth a visit........
  • Certainly is - but I'd suggest going in the dry as its not the best in the wet!

I think the only type of riding thats not at Wharncliffe is Northshore, there's some DH, some fireroads, some technical climbs, some fast singletrack and lots and lots of big rocks!
  • chatters
    chatters Posts: 107
    If your going to wharnecliff for DH mate its just as good in the wet as in the dry, certainly keeps you on your toes anyway! Id put it as the best place for DH in England.
    pinkbike.com/photo/790916
  • lexiekay
    woohoo sounds great :D

so would you say body armour and full face helmet? or just normal helmet and knee pads.... (bearing in mind i fall off fairly regularly!)
  • depends what you plan on riding but if you've got the gear. may as well use it? There are loads of rocks actually, so I'd probably say the full lot. We've seen plenty of other riders there all with full facers on.
  • chatters
    just wondering if anyone will be around wharnecliff tomorrow? (26/11/08)
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    I cant get there tomorrow but i keep meaning to get my ass down there. its only about 25mins from home by car.

Be good to meet up with others that know it well
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • chatters wrote:
    just wondering if anyone will be around wharnecliff tomorrow? (26/11/08)

I have got day off tomorrow and really fancy a stab at Wharncliffe again, but with someone who knows it pretty well.

Went last year and got very lost!

Will be on a Heckler with my Swampthings on!
  • chatters
    should be up there sometime around lunch around the DH runs, mite see you around!
  • it's good fun but the best stuff (as usual) is off the waymarked trails. Just get out there and explore
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, I agree, follow your nose. Won't get lost, is quite compact, but a lot packed in it for all disciplines.

IMHO the best XC trails are to the north of the forest and run next to the crags - worth linking them in to a ride, most routes ignore them!
  • Sonic, you mean right at the top don't you, where the singletrack is, then it heads down the hill into the other wooded area past that little lake thing where people fish.

That is a fantastic bit of singletrack - I only wished it was a bit longer.
  • supersonic
    That's it! I love that bit - was the first track I ever MTBd on!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited November 2008
    Certainly is - but I'd suggest going in the dry as its not the best in the wet!

I think the only type of riding thats not at Wharncliffe is Northshore

There IS a Small and very old northshore section 8) Hard to find,raised boardwalks etc :D Not far from the bottom of the DHs.
    The section that runs along the top of the crags is quite long if you start from Wharncliffe lodge.From the fireroad at the top of the DHs look out for a FP over a stile(behind you if facing the DHs).Walk through the field bearing left until you reach some farm buildings on your left,about 150m further on look out for a single-track on your left 8) Brilliant trail :D
  • supersonic
    Gets a bit rocky towards the end - unless on a big ish full susser, a few trials skills wouldn't go amiss!