Edvald Boasson Hagen

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited November 2008 in Pro race
How will he do next year?
Only 21 so maybe too soon to expect too much but he reminds me of Ullrich
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Great rider - forgot him from my list of favourites!

He's no Ullrich though. He can sprint.

Strava is not Zen.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    He's a pavement cyclist. Tour of Britain, final stage in Liverpool, i'm walking round by the finish line afterwards and he comes speeding along the pavement and nearly hits me :)
  • I'm looking forward to next year where I hope he rides one of the tours and gets a chance of going for the white jersey and mix it with the likes of Kreuziger & Gesink?

Who am I missing out? With regard the next new upstarts?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    DavMartinR wrote:
    I'm looking forward to next year where I hope he rides one of the tours and gets a chance of going for the white jersey and mix it with the likes of Kreuziger & Gesink?Who am I missing out? With regard the next new upstarts?
    Andy Schleck (still only 23), Tony Martin, Rigoberto Uran, Bauke Mollema... Lars Boom for the cobble classics (and more muddy stuff), Cav and Ciolek for the sprints...
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Now there's an exciting looking roster of talent - give me the young guns anyday over the has beens
  • FJS wrote:
    DavMartinR wrote:
    I'm looking forward to next year where I hope he rides one of the tours and gets a chance of going for the white jersey and mix it with the likes of Kreuziger & Gesink?Who am I missing out? With regard the next new upstarts?
    Andy Schleck (still only 23), Tony Martin, Rigoberto Uran, Bauke Mollema... Lars Boom for the cobble classics (and more muddy stuff), Cav and Ciolek for the sprints...

I was think of white jersey contenters. Think Andy Schleck will be aiming higher next year.
    Uran yes,but who would your Columbia money be on Tony Martin or Edvald Boasson-Hagen? And Who would you put your Rabobank money on? Gesink , Mollema or Boom?

Is it to early to put Dan Martin into the mix as well?
  • FJS
    DavMartinR wrote:
    I was think of white jersey contenters. Think Andy Schleck will be aiming higher next year.
    If Schleck wins the TdF he wins the white jersey too, they don't exclude each other.
    To be honest, I don't really see Boasson Hagen as a GT contender at all. My feeling is that he'll still lose too much time in the high mountains to Schleck, Kreuziger and Gesink. Tony Martin and Boom will probably still be in the grupetto...
  • Dow!! :roll: Of course Schleck would pick up both.

Has there ever been a rider to do that?

Would Rigoberto Uran be a contender for white or is he more of a classics rider?
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Dow!! :roll: Of course Schleck would pick up both.

Would Rigoberto Uran be a contender for white or is he more of a classics rider?

Contador 2007.

I'm sure there are some others too, no time to check it.
  • FJS
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Dow!! :roll: Of course Schleck would pick up both.

Contador just in 2007; others? I assume Fignon with his early wins?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Der Kaiser?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Think I right in thinking Eddy Merckx would have won it in 1969 if there was a white jersey then?

On Wikipedia its got Merckx down as win the 1969 tour plus the points,plus Mountains and most combative jerseys?? (Thats just been greedy). Was 1969 his first shot at the tour?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    1969 was Merckx's first Tour. He would've won the white jersey too if it had been available as he had just turned 24 a week or so before the Tour started.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Boasson Hagen was good at Tour of Britain when we saw him in Stoke finish so it'd be good if he could do the same in the bigger races.

Is it too early to put Roche junior in that list for the future?
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Boasson Hagen is a real talent but still a kid. I love his style and he has an older head than his age suggests but next year might be too soon. For 2010 get your money out he could and should be a real threat then notwithstanding the obvious pitfalls that sadly could occur
  • Pierre Rolland will be 22 through next year. He won the climbers jersey at the Dauphine Libere. The Velits brothers will be 24 although i dont think they will bbe challenging for top honours. Could end up doing work for Gerdemann though if he has a go at the overall in the TdF. Clement Lhotellerie did well in Paris-Nice. There were some rumours suggesting that there may be a reason for this but they were never substantiated.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    There are a couple of really good Belgians bubbling under

Greg van Avermaet looks like the next great classics rider
    Jurgen Van Den Broeck might actually be a real Belgian GT contender

Putting my Paddy cap on I'd like to think Dan Martin will do something special. Roche continues to surprise me, but I don't have as high expectations from him.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • I agree re Roche. I have to admit I didn't pay too much attention to this years Vuelta but when I looked back and saw how well he had done I was genuinely shocked. A great ride from a young kid with a huge name to follow.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    EBH was amazing at the TOB - will he work well with Cav though ?

Bit disillusioned with the Schlecks after the 'training plan for 8000 Euros' thing.