saddles again....an impossible decision!

trevtherev
trevtherev Posts: 372
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
OK so far I've managed to try out the following 3 saddles:

Charge Spoon Cro-Mo...ok nothing special

Fizik saddle....tried from the local bike shop on special offer and was £48 don't remember the style etc....ok nothing special

Bontrager Sport CRG and heres a link http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bon ... gn=froogle

that was far too big!! felt my cheeks being spread!!

So where do I go from here...am I after too much
I like the look and feel of the Selle Italia flite gel flow, and the Fizik gobi.....so should I now go back to Evans and buy another saddle...only to return in a few days.....ok nothing special

The problem with saddles is as we know they are personal and the only way to really know is try one out....and keep trying...however I think I am after too much I expect the saddle to be instantly fantastic!! I suppose I should ride around in it for a few weeks and hope it moulds to my bum!! as the selle Italia is supposed

So this is really a cry for help, I want a new saddle on my genesis day 01 why becasuse my bum gets numb!! and feels uncomfortable....given what I have said should I take the risk and go for the selle italia....it looks fantastic and comfy too!!...or should I just stop moaning and get on with cycling :(:(:(

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
www.runningfree.co.uk

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I've been happy with my Brooks Team pro.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Have you thought about changing your shorts rather than your saddle? ( check your PMs )
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a Fizik Gobi on my MTB: Very good, from the off.
    I have a Fizik Arione on my road bike, that took a little while to break in.
    windypants has a good point with the shorts, I have about 6 different makes, but I only feel really comfortable wearing my Pearl Izumi's. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Fizik Arione on all of my bikes. It took a few weeks to get used to but I am glad I made the switch. 3 years later and still agree with my descision.
    Brian B.
  • I've always had Fizik Arione saddles. I would recommend them to anyone!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    where's the best place for arione's ???

does anyone do cheapie copies ? I'm noing to need something for the commuter but don't want an expensive saddle that will get trashed in the bad weather....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • CHarge spoon, never sat on one, but everyone seems to like them
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    he tried a charge spoon first!
  • keef66 wrote:
    he tried a charge spoon first!

How the hell did i read everything else apart from that line!

:? :oops:
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Can't you go round to a local bike shop and sit on all the bikes? That will give you some idea...

My favourites are Selle Italia SLR XP & Selle San Marco Magma XC.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I am using Selle Italia Flite Gel Flo. Now got 3, foolishly fitted one to my MTB while my Trek frame was being repainted. It was very comfortable on that too so had to buy the third one. I was using Spec Toupe which was good but a little bit flat across the back. The Gel Flo is more curved but is narrower (130mm). Flite Gel Flo Max is wider (145mm). Not tried that.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Hmmm - if the Charge Spoon was OK - what more do you want ?

I have an Arione on my road bike - v comfy and just bought a spoon for my fixie - seems good too.

Try arione if you want - but its 3 x the price of the saddle thats OK anyway ? Up to you really ?
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    I used to use a standard Flite, which was comfy but would make me numb eventually, have used only SLR XP for 5+ years and find them so good I never notice, if you know what I mean.
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Tried several saddles, found the Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flow to be the best
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Have you tried adjusting the saddle angle if your getting numbness?

Couple of degrees down at the front is all it could need.
  • I am NOT being rude here, in anyway detracting from your racing-snake build, but how heavy are you? :wink:
    If you're a big guy, there is far more psi sitting on the soft bits than if you're lucky and light-in-build.
    I think the spoon is brilliant BUT it still hurts me after an hour or so simply 'cos I am still too heavy - but I'm working on it. :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    trevtherev wrote:
    OK so far I've managed to try out the following 3 saddles:

So this is really a cry for help, I want a new saddle on my genesis day 01 why becasuse my bum gets numb!! and feels uncomfortable....given what I have said should I take the risk and go for the selle italia....it looks fantastic and comfy too!!...or should I just stop moaning and get on with cycling :(:(:(

I have suggested the Selle An-Atomica to you before, but was scoffed at (not by you), but you are going through what I have done over the years, trying a multitude of saddles, some better, some worse, but none being right. The Selle An-Atomica is totally comfortable, and was right out of the box. For the £113 it cost it is cheaper than the many failed saddles I have tried. They do a 30 day money back deal (it would cost about £7 to post back to the USA), They deliver in 5 days and price the package so that there are no duties to pay.

I am using this on my commuter/tourer, but I have just bought a Planet-X and the saddle that came with it was surprisingly comfy, not up to the Selle, but better than the Avatar. I am giving it an extended test before deciding if I need to change it, but as my rides tend to be shorter on this bike than the tourer I may be okay with it.

By the way, I have two Specialized Avatar saddles for sale if you want to try one (the last best saddle I have tried, still painful by the end of the second hour). :lol:
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • unclemalc wrote:
    I am NOT being rude here, in anyway detracting from your racing-snake build, but how heavy are you? :wink:
    If you're a big guy, there is far more psi sitting on the soft bits than if you're lucky and light-in-build.
    I think the spoon is brilliant BUT it still hurts me after an hour or so simply 'cos I am still too heavy - but I'm working on it. :D

I'm light just under 10st, skinny build.

"Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/trevtherev ... 338579801/
    www.runningfree.co.uk
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    1. Borrow from your friends? I bet a lot of people have a few in their sheds. I know I have.

2. Buy them second hand from ebay, try them, if you don't like them put them back on. You may lose a bit of money but its a cheap way to try them. When you find one you like you can keep it or buy a new one at full price.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Of course it is a personal thing, but I have been really happy with the Specialized Avatar and Alias that I have on each of my bikes. Prior to that I spent six years on a selle royale (touring bike) and did not suffer.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• I would recommend the Specialized range, especially the Avatar; I think they have thought through the science of saddles a bit: you can get your butt measured for example, and get one that fits. The problem of numbness is basically caused by blood flow being compressed, and therefore you need a cut out so it's not compressed. Not rocket science really. I'm not sure it's 'personal' in the sense of random. Also, as recommended by others a)trying out some at a shop and b) buying on ebay so even if its not right after a coupla hours, sell it again for minimial loss.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I got on quite well with the Specialized Toupe but found the Avatar far too flat across the back. Now using Flite Gel Flow which are much more curved than either of these and for me much more comfortable.