absolute beginners idiot question

kotu
kotu Posts: 5
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
i want a bike for doing mainly city -> to countryside rides and -> occasionally offroading

am looking at the GT avalanche

OK?

Comments

• Proper offroading on rough terrain?

If so your only option is an MTB, in which case the avalanche is extremely competent.

If you mean gravel tracks when you say offroading, then a hybrid may be a better option.
  • kotu
    nah i will go hell for leather on anything to be honest but very rarely, thx
  • TBH your best bet is prob an MTB anyway. Just stick a set of semi slicks on it for road use.
  • kotu
    what does semi slicks mean?
  • kotu
    i always found when riding a racer i got punctures, are semi-slicks ok for this? should i get a different bike altogether?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No. If you want to go offroad you need an MTB. What budget do you have?
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Many tyres have some form of puncture protection these days, particularly those intended for heavy use. There's loads of different types aimed at touring and commuting markets. If I were you:

1) If you want to use this mainly for commuting and offroading is going to be made-up trails (eg sustrans routes, well maintained canal towpaths), consider a hybrid.

2) If the offroading might stray into the realms of more serious stuff (unmade bridleways etc), then you're probably better off with an MTB, although you could consider a cyclocross bike (eg Specialized Tricross, Kona Jake).

3) If you go for an MTB, you'll find commuting much more pleasant if you put road tyres on it. I've set mine up with Continental Travel Contact - which have good puncture protection, low rolling resistance, and enough thickness/tread for moderate off-road use if it's dry and not too rocky.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Conti ... 300003705/

Don't assume that MTB tyres are puncture-proof because they're thick: they're decidedly not! Also, don't be tempted to try to use the semi-slicks in more extreme conditions. They've got no grip in the mud and are not bulky enough for safe use on very rocky terrain.
  • I bought a GT Avlanche 2 2008 earlier in the year and it's a crackin' bike. It can handle hardcore routes no probs although a full sus would be nice :D but it's great for what i do on it and really good for beginers for trail and some city riding etc.