Fastest speed down Sawyer's Hill, RP

Cubic
Cubic Posts: 594
edited November 2008 in Road beginners
Hi, just wondering what sort of speed people get up to going down Sawyer's Hill in Richmond Park?

Comments

• Are you a policeman?
    In all seriousness, not the best place to try to achieve top speed. Get out on the open roads.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    For a glorious spot for maaaaaad downhill speed, can I recommend the Coomanaspig Pass near Portmagee in Ireland. You can see about 4 miles ahead and wait for an empty road, watching the sea until everything's clear. I touched 60mph, having given up trying to film myself when I hit 40. Crazy but worth doing once.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I'd only do those speeds if I was wearing motorcycling leathers and helmet. At 60mph they'll be a trail of mincemeat if you just wear lycra.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I haven't ridden in Richmond Park for years, but I think I used to aim for 40-45 mph, if that's the hill down to Kingston Hill gate. I understand from the Richmond Park thread on the commuting forum, though, that the police are conducting periodical speed check crackdowns, so for that reason, and politeness in general, perhaps you'd be better to head down to Box Hill and so on for the speed thrills.
  • shakey88
    shakey88 Posts: 289
    Is there a speed limit for bikes on the road?
    There is a speed camera on a hill near where i live an i always try to set it off by caning it down.So far i've got up to 38 mph as i pass the camera.
    Am i breaking the law?